•39•

Zina P.o.v

We all sat round the dining table.

"I'm sure you missed my food Seyi." Mrs Oyefeso laughed.

"I didn't." Seyi teased.

"Ahh.. you didn't miss my food. Oya leave the table."

"Mummy, I'm just joking. Of course I missed your food. So what did you cook for us." He rubbed his hands together as he licked his lips which made my mom to laugh.

"Let's pray first before we eat."

Pray?.

"Zina dear. Please can. You bless the food."

Me?.

I wasn't a religious person. Although I believed in the existence of God I didn't just find it fancy to serve someone I couldn't see especially when

But I see why Seyi always went to church on Sunday and always kept murmuring prayers before he ate.

I had just decided to follow him to church on Sundays not that I paid attention to anything the pastor was saying and now his mom was asking me to pray.

"Zina." Seyi voice Snapped me out of my thought.

"Oh sorry." I said flashing him a warm smile.

What should I do ?.

"Uhm... God please bless the food we eat."  I said.

His parents looked surprised.

How long is a prayer meant to be?.

"Amen." Seyi finally said, breaking the silence.

The maids served us.

We were having fried and jollof rice with salad, turkey and beef also with a red wine.

"This is lovely." I said as I took a bite.

Mrs Oyefeso smiled." Please don't flatter me. I'm sure you cook so much better."

"I can't cook..." Seyi had to be lying about his mom's Choice of women on knowing how to cook." ...as good as you." I saw myself add.

"Buy you don't know how to.cook Zina." Seyi said innocently.

Oh he knows what his doing. I thought angrily.

"You don't know how to cook?." His dad asked.

"Well I'm trying but-"

"Yeah she's actually trying. Almost perfect. Maybe she can cook for us tomorrow."

My eyes widened. Tomorrow.

"What are you saying Seyi. There are maids who normally help with the cooking." I said through clenched teeth.

"Seyi is right. It's good to know how the food of my son soon to be wife tastes" Mrs Oyefeso said.

There was something hidden in her tone.

Here I was trying to win over Mrs Oyefeso and Seyi just had to tell them the truth.

" I'm really sorry but from where I come from it's rude to interrupt people from their works and I just thought it was the maids work to cook food."

"Where do you come from cause I've not heard such things before." His dad inquired.

You have started with a bad lie Zina you just have to go with it.

"My mom. She's from outside Nigeria."

"That explains a lot." Mrs Oyefeso says, " but still. This is my son you are -"

"It's okay mom. Let's respect her beliefs."