23 | golden hour

"Well, that was awkward." Naomi said to Kabir. Her lips were pressed into a thin line, and her brows were knitted together. Uneasiness was visible on her face. "Reading about my grandmother doing the deed."

They were at the Vyas Chhatri. The sun was setting behind the sand dunes and golden buildings. The day had been scorching, but a cold breeze began to blanket them as the sun sank lower into the horizon.

"Uh, yeah." Kabir's face was a vibrant shade of red. "Let's wrap up for today. It's getting late." He shoved the papers into his bag as he stood up to leave.

"I don't. I don't understand any of these." Naomi said as they walked past a few tourists. It was peaceful to read the story at Vyas Chhatri since there were only a few tourists that day.

"Yeah, me too. I never knew stuff like this happened in her life." Kabir replied.

"I'm scared about the things we will come across while reading this."

"I feel like this is only the surface."

"I hope Apoorva doesn't cheat on her or do something like that."

"You're forgetting that this story has already happened."

"Yeah, but still." Naomi chuckled. "A little hope would do no harm."

As they walked further downwards, Naomi spotted some stalls selling Rajasthani dolls, clothing, and pottery.

"Wow, these are so cool." She ran to one of the shops selling bangles and kurtis.

"These bangles are made of wax." Kabir said as he picked up a pair of pink bangles with white stripes. "Try these on."

She tried to push it through her arm, but the bangle was bit small for her size.

"Here, let me try." Kabir said, grabbing her hand. The unexpected touch ignited a surprise in Naomi. Sparks flew as if their skins were two stones. Emotions churned inside her. She felt she had lost something when he released his hands.

"Do you want to try any other colour?" He asked.

"No, these are perfect." She replied.

"Hey, could you move a few steps back?" He said, looking at her.

"Why?" She asked in confusion.

"I got the perfect backdrop for clicking a picture." He fished out a camera from his bag. She looked behind. The fort shone in the golden hues of the descending sun.

"Is it okay to take a picture?" He asked.

"Yeah, go ahead."

He watched her through the lens of his camera, her skin drenched in gold, curly hair slightly swaying in the wind, and a pretty smile playing hide and seek. For a moment, he found her more mesmerising than the scenery behind her.

"Did you click the picture?" She asked, waking him up from his thoughts.

"Yes. Take a look." He handed over the camera to her.

"These are really pretty." She said, her eyes glinting with excitement. "Are you a photographer or something?"

"No, I'm a singer." He smiled.

"No kidding."

"I am."

"I won't believe until you sing for me."

"Okay, I will. Now let's just go home."