11 | guilt

"I'm hungry." Naomi said as Kabir finished reading the eighth chapter of the book. Naomi's stomach rumbled even though she had two whole bajra rotis for breakfast.

"I'll ask Garima di to make something." He said this as they both strolled towards the kitchen. But Garima was nowhere to be found. "She might've gone to the market or something," Kabir said while searching the refrigerator. "This'll do." He said pulling out a packet of bread.

"Are you going to make a sandwich?" Naomi asked as he took cheese and vegetables from the refrigerator.

Yes, I hope you like sandwiches." He responded.

"Of course, they're my go-to." She replied and grabbed the onions. "I'll slice these."

"So, what do you think?" Naomi asked and wiped the teardrops she got while slicing the onions.

"What?" Kabir responded.

"The story. I don't understand what she's trying to imply. She had a crush on that boy. Is the book about her love life?" Naomi sniffed. Her nose was red, like the tomatoes Kabir was cutting.

"No." Kabir said, putting the knife down. "It's not just about a teenage crush. I guess there's more to it. I've read several of her works and published interviews. She kept her personal life a mystery to the world. That woman never let the cat outta the bag."

"Even though I'm her granddaughter, I don't know anything about her."

"That's why the book fell into your hands. This is your chance to get to know her."

"May I ask you something?" Kabir asked Naomi while flipping the sandwiches on the pan.

"Yeah shoot." She replied, leaning against the cold, white marble countertop.

"Why did you cry on the plane?" His question took her aback.

"Um..." She pressed the temple with her thumb. "My boyfriend, Corey. He... He's been distant lately. It all started after I graduated summa cum laude. He wanted that, but his grades were low. Things started getting bitter between us. He started accusing me of the silliest things after that." Naomi took a deep sigh. "Now, he doesn't talk to me. On the plane yesterday, he told me that he didn't want to see my face anymore.

Kabir's mouth fell open. After a second, he burst out into laughter. "Sorry for laughing." He said while trying to catch his breath. "He's salty because his girlfriend scored more than him in the finals? What a manchild!" He said this and handed her the sandwich on a plate.

"I know, it's silly. I feel like I stole something from him." She looked intensely at the wilted lettuce leaves peeking out of the bread.

"Woman! You didn't steal anything from him. If anyone has to feel guilty, it's him. Now eat your food so we can finish reading the story." He said that and left the kitchen.

Mia's text in response to the picture of the sandwich Kabir cooked came a few minutes later.

>Miami
Did he cook that? looks toothsome. 🤤

>Naomi
it's bussin'

>Miami
That clam chowder your boyfriend made for Thanksgiving made you sick for two freakin' days.
You better dump Corey's ass and start dating this dude!!!

>Naomi
stfu!

So, an update after a while :)
PS, I merged the previous two chapters into one coz they were too short.