2 | miss americana

When Naomi opened her eyes, hearing the continuous knock at the door, the first thing she wanted to do was throw something at the door. She opened the door despite not having fully recovered from the jet lag.

"I'm really sorry for that nonstop knocking." She knew Isha, her cousin, the one who was getting engaged. They both follow each other on Instagram, even though they haven't met in a really long time.

"It's fine. I was sleeping off the jet lag." Naomi lied.

"I'm sorry again." Isha said, biting her tongue.

"Please don't say sorry."

"Sorr- Um, never mind." "Well, this is us seeing each other in person after years, despite the occasional texts on Instagram."

"Last time I saw you, you were so tiny."

"Like you weren't a toddler with snot dripping from your nose." They both giggled for a few seconds, reminiscing about their childhood.

"I heard you're getting engaged. And nobody even bothered to tell me. Not even my mother." Naomi made a disappointed face.

"Everything was decided in a short period of time." Everything happened so quickly that we forgot to inform a lot of people."

"Why? What's the rush?" Naomi was genuinely curious why someone was getting engaged in a rush. She knew how engagements are a thing in India and are celebrated just like a wedding ceremony, unlike most Western countries.

Isha clicked her tongue. "It's Navin's family. They say tomorrow's date is somehow special. They believe in astrology and such stuff."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's just that they are really religious. And Navin can't say no to his parents, even though he doesn't believe in such kinds of stuff."

Naomi sighed. "People still believe in these things."

"You'll be surprised to find out how many people are like this." Isha laughed.

"Dada asked me to bring you to dinner. It'll be ready in five minutes."

"Oh, I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Dining room is left to the alley down the stairs." Isha said, and walked downstairs.

Naomi went in for a quick shower, even though her body wanted more sleep. Then she was met with Sagar, Divya, Isha, and her fifteen-year-old cousin Daksh at the dining table, where she had various Indian dishes that she never even knew existed.

____

A few people were arranging the stage for the engagement in the yard when Naomi walked over to Sagar, who was sitting on the bench watching the work going on.

"How was the food?" Sagar scooted over to make room for Naomi to sit.

"Great. I've never had the opportunity to try this much Indian food. Mom never prepared any of these."

"That's because she doesn't like cooking." Sagar chuckled.

"True. She hates cooking." She wrapped her jacket tighter around her shoulder as the temperature dropped.

"It was Dad who always cooked for us." Naomi's thoughts travelled through the tracks of her teenage life when her parents were together.

"Do you miss him?" Sagar asked, breaking her thoughts.

"I visit him sometimes. But the only thing I miss are the times we spend together as a family. Me, Mom, and Dad. I miss that. Your family kinda reminds me of mine."