1 | home is where the heart is

"I'm glad you still remember me." Tara spoke with a slight hint of annoyance in response to Naomi's call. She put down the feather duster with which she was dusting her old books on the big white bookshelf and walked out of her study.

"Mom..." Naomi sounded apologetic over the phone. "I'm sorry, okay. I should've called. But you know that I'm way too swamped. It's my last semester, if you haven't forgotten."

Tara sighed. For a moment, she felt bad for blaming Naomi because she knew how things are during the last year of college,even though she went to Med school,which is way crazier than any other college. "It's fine." She paused for a moment, switching the phone from her left ear to her right. "How are you doing?"

"I'm good. Now that college is complete, I'm planning to go on a vacation."

"Oh good. Is Corey going along?"

"Uh. No. Nope." There was an awkward silence afterwards.

"Oh, do you want me to go on a vacation with you? I can't. You know the ER doctors can't even take a day off."

"Um. I was thinking about going alone."

"Oh. That's... That's great. Some alone time will surely help you after a hectic semester. So, where exactly are you headed?"

"India."

Tara was taken aback for a second. "What? I mean, why?"

"I want to be more connected with my culture."

"Oh, you're doing just fine."

"Come on, Mom. I barely know three words in Hindi. And an Indian dude roasted me for ordering a chai tea latte at Starbucks the other day. I don't know anything about my home." She corrected herself.

"It'll be another dimension for you. As you said, you don't even know the language. You can't go there. It's a bad idea. It's a terrible idea!"

"I said I was going. I just want to let you know, Mom. I'm a grownup. It's high time that you stop treating me like a kid."

"Well... If that's your wish. Who am I to object?"

"Bye Mom."

"Do let me know when you're leaving. And take care."

"You too, Mom." She said and hung up. Tara went back to dusting her bookshelf, bewildered.

____

The first thing Naomi did after landing at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi was message Corey. Her last twelve messages are still left unread. She received a text from Tara before she hit the send button.

Mom
>Did you reach?

<Yes. Just now.

Mom
>Good. Sagar Mamo (uncle) will be waiting for you outside.

<I'll text you once I see him.

Naomi turned off her phone and pushed past the passengers to the exit. She spent five minutes searching for a very familiar face, her mom's twin brother-in the crowd. The arrival was crowded with people receiving tourists and families receiving their relatives. She felt lost for a moment, and then someone tapped on her shoulder.

"I assume you're Ms. Morris?" There stood a man, slightly taller than her, with dark hair, pulled into a man bun and stubble alongside his angular jaw.

"Yes. Naomi." She said, letting her eyes travel from his head to toe. He seemed young yet a bit old-school. She liked that about people who don't stick to the trends that change every second.

"Your uncle sent me to pick you up." He said.

"Why didn't he come?" Naomi raised her thick eyebrows. He noticed it. "He's busy."

"With what exactly?"

"Your cousin is getting engaged. Tomorrow."

She knitted her eyebrows together. Naomi wasn't informed about that.

"Oh, you didn't know? He asked, seeing confusion spread on her face.

"How can I believe that Uncle Sagar is the one who sent you?" She said, ignoring his question.

"Wait a sec." He fumbled through his phone, pressing some buttons. It took a minute or two for him to connect with Sagar.

"Hey, Naomi. It's me, Sagar Mamo. It's been a while since we met. Are you having trouble recognising me?" There's Uncle Sagar on FaceTime. Other than his grey hair, beard, and thick-framed glasses, he was completely recognisable.

"You still look a lot like Mom, even if you grow a beard."

Sagar laughed, his eyes crinkling. "I've sent my close friend's son to pick you up. Is it okay, beta (kid)? I'm a bit busy."

"Yeah. It's... Completely fine. Don't worry." She said, glancing at the man standing in front of her.

"Kabir. Don't be stubborn and drive fast just to impress her, okay?" Kabir smiled coyly at Sagar's remark, running his fingers through his loosely tied-up hair.

"You could've said that in Hindi." Kabir murmured while ending the call.

"It's fine; I'll take it." He said, when Naomi leaned to pick up her baggage.

Delhi was hot. Hotter than a summer day in California. Even though the air conditioner was on, Naomi was sweating all over.

"It looks like you're having a good time." Kabir said, seeing her face drenched in sweat.

"Feels like your car is an oven." She wiped the sweat off with the napkin he handed her. "Thanks." She replied. It was one o'clock, and the sun shone brightly above the city. The sunlight that fell on them each time they took a right turn made their skin look golden. She noticed how brown Kabir's eyes are. Brown, like a pool of honey.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." He looked at her. "If you stay here long enough," He said, as he steered the car through the Delhi traffic.

____

Sagar and his wife were waiting by the doorstep when Naomi and Kabir reached home in Golf Links, which was quite big, painted white, with a huge lawn adorned with different statues of mushrooms and fairies. She recognised her Aunt Divya in a yellow kurti. She noticed how her long brown hair was cut short now.

Oh, how long it's been." Divya said, pulling Naomi into an embrace.

"It's nice meeting you again, Aunt."

"How was the journey?" Sagar asked while petting her black, curly hair.

"Well, I'm jet-lagged as hell."

"You should get some rest. We can talk later."

"Leela will show you your room." Divya said, calling out the maid's name. A woman in a green sari came out.

"Leela, can you take her luggage upstairs too?" Divya asked while Leela led Naomi inside.

"Don't worry. On it." Called Kabir from behind.

"Yeh sab karane kee zaroorat nahin hai, Kabir." ("There's no need for doing all these, Kabir.") Naomi heard Sagar's faint voice while climbing the stairs. And she didn't understand a word.

_____

What awaits Naomi in India? Scroll down to learn more.

PS: I wrote the 'chai tea latte dialogue' before Pavitr Prabhakar said it in the Spider-verse movie ;)