31 | ghost of him

Naomi felt like she was somewhere in France, but she was still very much in India, in Pondicherry, where the person who is supposed to be her grandfather lived, or his ghost lived. He was long gone in her mind.

"This is it." Kabir said, standing in front of the house where the cab driver left them. It was a white-painted, old French-style house.

"Looks like he ended up being the Rear Admiral." Naomi said, glancing over the golden name plate in front of the gate, which said, 'Apoorvananth Rathore, Retd. Rear Admiral'

"Do you think he has a family now? Wife and children?" She asked him.

"Are we about to wreck a family?"

"I don't care at this point." She shrugged her shoulders.

And then the security noticed them. "What's the matter?" He asked, coming out of his cabin.

"We are here to see Mr. Apoorvananth Rathore," Kabir said.

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No."

"Then take one and come back later."

"That's not possible. We need to see him right now." Naomi said.

"Madam Ji, that is not how it works. He's not some random person you could see. at any time."

"I need to see him now. now!" she said. and tried to open the gate herself. But Kabir reached for her hand.

"They are gonna charge you for breaking in and might send you back to the US."

She paused and turned to the guard. "Well, you better tell him the granddaughter of the woman who he knocked up and abandoned stopped by."

The guard's jaw dropped. "Majaak kar rahe ho kya?"
"Are you kidding?"

Then a car honked behind them. A black Range Rover. The person in the driver's seat rolled down the window. "What's happening? Who are these people?"

It was him. She knew it. The same person, just like how it is described in the story. Brown eyes, curly hair, and a glimpse of dimples on both cheeks. He was very real. Not dead, not fictional. An instant pang of hatred hit her. She felt like running away from there.

"They are creating problems, sir. Don't worry, I'll make them leave." The guard replied.

By then, she knew that it was her last chance. So she walked up to him.

"Roopali Agarwal. Do you even remember her?" She said. He drew in a breath. His jaws tightened at the mention of her name. "You thought you could remain hidden?"

There was no response from him. "I am her granddaughter. Why did you abandon her?" She felt tears choking her.

He opened the window and walked up to the guard. He was tall, wearing a white kurta, and had a black and white beard. Just like a ghost. He looked like one of those intimidating dads in the Bollywood movies she has watched who never lets his daughter marry the male lead.

Was he like his dad? Cruel. She thought to herself.

"Park the car inside." He said to the guard after tossing him the keys.

"I'll take care of them."

"But sir..."

"It's fine, Murli."

Then he turned to Naomi and Kabir. "The beach is near. Mind taking a stroll?"

Naomi was about to decline it, but Kabir answered before her.

"No, sir."

"What are both of your names?" His voice was sweet and caring. She felt like he was a fictional character came to life.

"Kabir, and this here is Naomi Morris."

"Oh, I have an American son-in-law?" He said.

"How did you know that?" Kabir almost screamed.

"C'mon, let me show you around. The beaches here are beautiful." He said and walked ahead of them.