Chapter 5

Michael's POV

I'm an irrationally rational man. There ain't much that shakes me in this life, except for one thing: my father. He's the only prick who can get under my skin and still make me fall back from any retaliation. Lucky he's rotting in prison, so now I run this empire my way, without following his outdated methods. We've fucking evolved, and I'm way smarter than that old man.

But here's the thing, when I spend a whole damn week obsessing over some broad, it pisses me off. It's a distraction, and usually, I'd just get rid of it. That's where my problem lies. I've thought of countless ways to handle it. I could assign one of my guys to her, a real hard-ass, so she falls in line quick and I can forget about it. But then I think about him seeing her all submissive, with those fucking eyes, and it rubs me the wrong way. Why? Fuck if I know.

So, I did something irrational. I swung by the firm a bunch of times this week, shit I could've easily delegated to Renato. I just wanted to check on her, see if she'd show some respect now and fall in line. Because if she did, maybe that itch under my skin would ease up, and I could move on. Move on from the fact that she's a walking Cosa Nostra prima donna, but at the same time, she's nothing like our usual dames. Her gaze is too damn intense, too defiant, and it's haunting me.

When I couldn't find her anywhere and needed to get rid of my curiosity, I decided to swing by Francisco's place. And there she was, diving and splashing around in the pool like a clueless little duck, in that skimpy bikini of hers. I felt a twitch in my groin, so I had to look away. But she just kept getting in and out of the water, tempting me with that perfect ass of hers. Fuck, I can't believe it's even real. The woman is goddamn sexy, and I can't deny it. So I raised my voice, just to let her know I was there and she better behave.

But when it started raining, she stepped out of the water, her cheeks flushed, that pretty mouth of hers running off again. I had to fight every urge in me not to stare at her dripping hot body. But when she left, that's all that consumed my thoughts, and I felt this overwhelming urge to see it again. Just one more time. Irrational, again.

Soon as Francisco took off, I made my way to the sunroom, lingering just outside. I overheard her talking about some Four Roses joint, a place that ain't part of our domain. And that's when it hit me. Francisco raised her with way too much fucking leniency. He ain't just some associate trying to prove himself. He's a made man, an important one at that, running our whole laundering and tax fraud operations. His daughter can't be out there strolling the streets like she's some regular civilian.

There's a reason she feels both familiar and different. And that shit don't sit right with me, but fuck if it ain't intriguing. She don't bend easily, and those eyes of hers tell me it's because she's been shielded from the violence, yet she's got a keen awareness of its existence. Innocent in her own little world, but fully conscious of the one she's living in.

She got up, started dancing, and my eyes couldn't help but devour every inch of her flawless body. I watched as she moved her hips sensually from side to side, her long ponytail swaying in rhythm. A twisted image flashed in my mind, picturing myself wrapping that hair around my fist, making her look up at me with those submissive eyes while I pressed my damn cock against her back. I had to tear my gaze away, so I grabbed the TV remote and turned it on, hoping the flickering screen would break her fucking spell.

And when her breasts brushed against my torso, I clenched my fist, battling the urge to wrap my arm around her waist and...

She thinks she's fooling me. I can see it in her eyes, that defiant gaze telling me she'll defy me and head to that damn Four Roses joint. And that shit just sets me ablaze with fury.

Do I have time to chase after rebellious broads roaming the streets? Fuck no. If she were anyone else, I probably wouldn't give a damn about what she does. It ain't my job to keep every fucker in line. Each family has their own way of handling their people. But for some reason, I can't help but make Laila my business.

So yeah, I'm gonna spy on her, see if she's got an ounce of obedience left in her. If I'm really the boss, she'll show me some goddamn respect, fear my very presence, and not dare to disobey me. But if she's truly the woman I suspect her to be, she won't comply. And if she doesn't, then there's no telling what I'll do to her.