Chapter 14

Laila's POV

Michael exits the library room, and my whole face flushes at the thought of what just happened in there. I no longer recognize myself. I don't know what this man has turned me into. He makes me want to scream, cry, and escape, all the while praying that he won't stop. And as soon as it's over, I crave more.

Since our encounter yesterday, I have constantly yearned for him, to the point where it's become a physical ache. So when I saw him this morning while racing Lucas in the driveway, that feeling intensified, and I knew I had to have him all to myself. Seizing the first opportunity that presented itself, I offered myself to him without reservation.

Exiting the room shortly after Michael's departure, intending to discreetly retreat to my own room for another shower, I am unexpectedly ambushed by Lucas. Being the annoying older brother that he is, he forcefully messes up my hair with his hand.

"Lucas, stop!" I scowl, trying to escape his grip while also ensuring my revealing camisole stays in place. After what feels like an eternity, he finally releases me.

"Hey, I thought you already took a shower? And why are you walking around half naked?" he remarks suspiciously, eyeing me. Admittedly, I'm all sweaty again.

Instantly, I tense up and become uneasy. "I did some sit-ups."

"In the library..." He squints, maintaining that same suspicious expression.

"Yeah, so what?" I reply defiantly.

Lucas and I are incredibly close; in fact, he's my best friend. With only a three-year age difference, we usually share everything with each other—he even knows about Trey. He's the rebellious, incorrigible type, so we always have each other's backs. He's not one to judge others' actions, given that he's made his fair share of mistakes.

However, I refuse to confide in him about my affair with the boss. There's simply no way I can disclose that information.

"So, what's your relationship like with Michael?" he asks, and my heart skips a beat. It almost feels as if he's read my mind, and I can't help but wonder if he knows about my steamy encounters with Michael.

"I don't have a relationship with him. Why? Why are you asking?" I respond, doing a poor job of concealing my nerves.

I walk away from him, making my way down the stairs in an attempt to put an end to this conversation. However, Lucas persists and follows closely behind. "It's just that you've been spending a lot of time around him lately."

"I work at the firm. It's normal," I reply, hoping to dismiss his suspicions.

"But there have been other occasions too, where you've been seen together. He nodded at you earlier, as if he actually knew you. And he even gave you a contract to work on the other day," Lucas continues to press.

I enter the kitchen, feeling increasingly uneasy, and open a cabinet to grab a glass. "It's just business, Lucas," I say, avoiding his gaze and pressing the glass against the water dispenser on the stainless fridge.

Lucas leans against the white marble kitchen island, crossing his arms. "Put in a good word for me, yeah?"

"What?!" I exclaim, almost spilling my water in surprise. "You've got the wrong idea. Michael and I aren't like that. Ask Papà."

"Are you out of your mind? Papà doesn't want me involved in street activities. Do you really think he'll help me in any way? Don't be dumb."

He's absolutely right. Lucas is the only one among us who didn't finish school and opted for a different path instead. His unwavering determination to become a made man is commendable. However, Papà doesn't support him in that regard and doesn't offer any assistance. That's why Lucas remains just an associate, and his numerous poor decisions have prevented him from getting certified to this day.

"I can't help you."

"Come on, Laila. I'm..." he hesitates. "Let's just say I've gotten myself into a bit of a situation. I could really use your connection with Michael to help me out."

Hearing about my supposed "connection" with Michael, I feel my cheeks flush. I have no desire for people to start noticing or speculating about it. I quickly dismiss Lucas's request. "Lucas, you've misunderstood the nature of my relationship with Michael. We're not involved in that way, and I can't ask him for any favors. I'm sorry."

Lucas looks down at the floor, visibly distressed by my answer. However, he eventually nods, and I'm relieved that he doesn't push the matter any further.

His KryptoniteOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara