Chapter 26

Laila's POV

The next day, I'm sitting in the car with Michael, heading home. It's been over a week since I last saw my family. They think I'm coming back alone, oblivious to the fact that Michael and I are an item.

I told Michael we should arrive early because news of the broken engagement with Gabriella and the new relationship with Laila Scorsese will spread soon. I don't want my dad to be caught off guard like that.

Honestly, I have no clue how they'll react. I spent the entire night awake, struggling to find the perfect words to explain everything, but nothing seems quite right. I'll just have to face them head-on and get it over with.

Michael must sense my anxiety because he places his hand on my lap, soothing my jittery legs. I catch sight of the mansion on the horizon, and my heart starts racing. It's only been a little over a week, but it feels like an eternity.

The gates open, and we drive in. I spot my entire family waiting on the stairs and at the entrance, ready to greet me. I hope they haven't heard the news yet, but their wide grins suggest I'm still in the clear.

After Michael parks the car, I step out and rush towards them, the excitement of seeing them overpowering my nerves. Papà is the first to embrace me tightly, followed closely by Lucas. They bombard me with a thousand questions about my well-being before acknowledging Michael. Together, we all enter the house.

Mamma has prepared a massive breakfast, and everyone is cheerfully moving between the kitchen and the living room.

I glance at Michael, surrounded by my brothers who now believe they have exclusive access to him since he protected their naïve little sister from a potential sexual assault.

Elena sits beside me, brimming with curiosity. "So, you've been staying at Michael's penthouse all this time?"

I nod, feeling a lump forming in my throat.

"Was he living there too?" she asks, squinting suspiciously.

"Well...I mostly stayed with Gianna," I deflect.

I need to get it over with. Every time someone glances at their phone, my heart skips a beat, fearing they've received the news. I lock eyes with Michael and gesture towards the hallway. He immediately understands, leaving the main area and ascending the stairs as I approach my papà.

As soon as he sees me, he envelops me in a hug. "Cara mia, I can't express how thrilled I am to have you back."

I smile, growing increasingly anxious. "Papà, can we talk upstairs?"

"Of course!" he replies, and together we make our way to his office, where Michael is already waiting. He stands near the window, smoking a cigarette, and nods at my father as we enter.

"Hey, Michael!" Papà exclaims, completely unaware of what awaits him.

My palms grow moist, and I nervously wipe them on my dress. "Papà, we need to talk," I begin, my voice trembling.

He furrows his brow, sensing the gravity of my expression. "Alright, what's the matter?"

I swallow hard. "It's...well..." I struggle to find the words.

I know that Papà has always wanted me to marry someone untangled from the world of violence. He made it clear that he didn't want that life for me. So, understandably, the thought of telling him that I'm marrying the mafia boss fills me with immense anxiety.

"Laila," he says, his eyes narrowing with concern.

"I...it's just that..."

Michael lets out a deep breath and interjects, "Francisco, listen. I'm not marrying Gabriella Gambini. The deal is off."