Chapter 25

Hey guys, first part of this chapter is about the negotiations with Vinnie Gambini. If you're only interested in the romance development, scroll until you see the three little dots!

———————————————————————

Michael's POV

Vinnie sits at the head of the oval table, while I take my place at the opposite end. My capos line one side, his on the other. The tension hangs thick in the air, everyone well aware of what's at stake.

They've been nonstop yapping about the Eastside offer, and I'm growing damn impatient and irritated. But when I catch Renato's gaze, I'm reminded to keep my composure. We're the ones in the wrong here, and we haven't even touched on the Gabriella situation yet.

But after enduring their incessant back-and-forth for another ten minutes, I can't take it anymore. Vinnie knows damn well his fat ass  is itching for that sweet deal; he's just playing this game to get under my skin.

"Vinnie, we don't have all night. Do you want the fucking deal or not?" My voice slices through the chatter, bringing the room to a sudden hush.

Vinnie runs his tongue over his teeth before he responds, "I still got questions unanswered. Why the hell did you off my capo?"

"For the hundredth time, he was assaulting one of our women," I repeat, my patience wearing thin.

"Don't fuck around, Michael. I got witnesses. That broad ain't married, and she sure as hell ain't related to you. So who the fuck is she?"

"Francisco Scorsese's daughter."

He scoffs. "Francisco? Isn't he some fucking lawyer? Not even a criminal one! Probably forgot how to hold a damn gun years ago! So what's the deal now, Mike? You changing the rules? Anytime a broad gets assaulted, it's a green light for murder? You don't understand what you're doing, man. You're begging for a bloodbath."

Renato steps in, clearly aware that my response won't be sugar-coated. "Vinnie, we aren't changing no damn rules. It was a one-time thing. We're offering the Eastside as compensation."

"And what? I'm just supposed to forget about everything?" Vinnie shoots back, his gaze fixed on me.

"If you want the fucking Eastside, then yeah," I reply, my irritation mounting.

"Everyone knows we only take a life if the dame is married to a made man or blood kin to a boss. How do I know you won't do this shit to another one of my guys if you catch then messing around with a broad you don't approve of?"

Marco, Vinnie's consigliere, clears his throat and chimes in, "Well, we still got the contract with Gabriella. That could serve as a solid guarantee."

Fucking hell. There it is. He just had to bring that up. I was hoping Vinnie would back out of the offer, keep things understated. But from the way his eyes bore into me, it's clear he's still hungry for this alliance. That greedy pig wants more than the Eastside.

"That's off the table," I say firmly, my voice unwavering.

"Motherfucker!" Vinnie explodes. "I fucking knew it!" he points an accusing finger at me. "This son of a bitch wants to start a war with me."

"You think I'd be here offering you the fucking Eastside if I wanted a war?"

"You're untrustworthy. You go and off my capo over some random dame. You think I can trust your word?"

"She's not random, she's my fiancée."

"Che cazzo!" Vinnie bellows, a mask of confusion plastered on his face, as well as the others in the room—my crew and his. Only Renato manages to maintain some semblance of composure amidst the chaos.