Chapter 20

Laila's POV

I wake up all alone in an unfamiliar bed, and for a split second, panic surges through me. But then, the memories of last night flood back, and I'm hit with a fresh wave of anxiety because, honestly, there's nothing comforting about what went down.

Slowly, I slide off the bed and cautiously make my way towards the door, opening it slowly. I was here yesterday, but I was in total shock because I can't recall a single detail about this place. In my mind, it definitely wasn't as fancy as it looks now, with all the sleek black decor and those massive floor-to-ceiling windows that show off the cityscape.

I take hesitant steps on the spotless black floor, following the distant sounds that guide me to the open living area. And there is Gianna, bustling around the kitchen.

"Oh, you're up!" she exclaims, practically sprinting towards me.

Without hesitation, she pulls me into a tight hug, and honestly, I really needed that. I squeeze her back, holding on tightly as if it's the only thing grounding me.

I had hoped to see Michael this morning, but with everything that's been going on, he's probably swamped with issues.

"I whipped up some breakfast. Hungry?" Gianna asks, heading back to the kitchen.

To be honest, I'm not exactly starving, but I feel bad turning down her breakfast after all the effort she put into it.

I plop myself down on the kitchen island, forcing myself to eat while Gianna chatters away about a million different things, deliberately avoiding the topic that truly interests me. I have a feeling she's been assigned to keep me distracted or something.

"Gianna," I finally gather the courage to interrupt her rambling. "What's going to happen...?" I ask absentmindedly, poking at the strawberries on my plate with my fork.

Gianna lets out a sigh, as if she knew this conversation was inevitable but tried to delay it for as long as possible.

"You'll have to stay here until things settle down. Let's just say the Gambini family isn't too thrilled about what went down last night."

"And here is...?"

"Oh! It's Michael's place."

"He lives here?"

"Hmm, not really. It's his spot, but he rarely sleeps here. He has a house."

I nod. Honestly, I wish he did sleep here. There are so many other questions swirling in my mind, but I don't think Gianna is the right person to answer them, so I keep them to myself.

"You don't need to worry, Laila. Michael..." she hesitates. "He genuinely cares about you," she finally admits, her eyes filled with sincerity.

I believe her, but that doesn't erase my concerns. It's impossible not to worry in a situation like this.

"Can I borrow your phone? I just want to call my parents. They must be beside themselves with worry. I have no idea what happened to my own phone. It probably got left behind... in the parking lot."

"Of course, take my phone. We'll get you a new one too."

I dial my papà's number, and I can sense the relief in his voice as he hears me on the other end. He puts me on speakerphone, and I'm bombarded with a thousand questions, all revolving around my well-being. I reassure them that I'm okay and that I'll be back home before they know it, even though the truth is, I have absolutely no idea.

•••

Gianna stuck by my side throughout the entire day, keeping me occupied with binge-watching dramatic TV shows, cooking up a storm, and even attempting to find clothes that would fit me. Surprisingly, our sizes were a close match, so finding outfits wasn't much of a challenge.