The Dance Practice

They entered Ricky's house after getting pizza and went to the living room.

Ricky: Ok, so what are we doing? (He sat down immediately.)

Gina: Well... First, we have to learn the dance. So, stand up, no sitting for a long time!

Ricky: Of course. Whatever you say, Gabriella. (He laughed and stood up.) 

Gina: Okay, so it's a really complicated choreography. And as we have only one day... I think I can simplify it. I've watched it a million times, I can figure it out...

Ricky: You are like the queen of dancing, I don't think there is anything you can't do.

Gina: (She smiled.) Okay, so, first the hands...

She put his hand on her belly and her on his shoulder, and held his hand from the inside of his palm.

Gina: So... The steps may seem a bit complicating because they will be in 3, like in waltz. Like 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3...

She tried to show the steps. Ricky stepped on her feet.

Ricky: Oh, I'm sorry...

Gina: (She laughed.) It's okay, Ricky. You are new at this.

She smiled. A big smile also took Ricky's face seeing her this happy. I feel like we are at a good place, he thought.

They practiced the dance until the night. Ricky's dad once went downstairs to check on them, and seeing them practicing and laughing, he went upstairs. Let's see what's coming, he thought.

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were tired from practicing the dance all night, they sat down on the couch, laughing.

Ricky: Aah, Gina. Tonight was a blast! We are going to ace it tomorrow!

Gina: Oh, I'm just so excited! But I'm also kinda nervous since I couldn't get Gabriella last year...

Ricky: Hey, you are gonna rock it! You are THE Gabriella, just trust yourself!

Gina smiled. Then she looked outside to see how dark it was and checked the time. She then checked her phone to see her mom had called her. 

Gina: Oh, my mom called me 5 times! I didn't realize the time... I really should head back home...

Ricky: Oh, let me drive you home.

Gina: You really don't have to... (She turned towards the door.)

Ricky stopped her by holding her hand.

Ricky: Gina... Of course, I will!

She looked down, her heart beating fast. He pulled away fast to dissipate the weirdness of the moment. And he then gestured to let her walk in front of him. She smiled and got out of the door, and they went into the car.

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky: Here we are.

Ricky pulled over to the front side of Gina's house.

Ricky: Wow...

Gina: (She chuckled.) What?

Ricky: Nothing, just remembered something. (He chuckled.)

Gina knew he was talking about the Homecoming night last year. They were in the car together, and that was the moment she realized she liked Ricky for the first time. She was just getting ready to get out of the car when suddenly, she took the courage to say something.

Gina: I feel so tired of my mom pressuring me this much. Now she wants me to focus on my grades because it's my junior year... I just wanna feel at peace for a second, don't you think?

Ricky: (He nodded.) Yeah, I totally get that. It's my senior year, I have a lot coming, you know?

Gina: Oh, yeah. How do you feel about that? Your senior year?

Ricky: Honestly, I'm so scared. I don't have any idea what to do at all about my life and college applications...

Gina: Well,  I can help you if you ever need a peer review. I actually write pretty good essays myself and give good feedback...

Ricky: Well, I'm not surprised. (They both chuckled.)

Gina: It's nice talking about things other than the musical, isn't it?

Ricky: Yeah, you know we used to do that, though. (He chuckled.) 

Gina: Yeah, we did.

There was a moment of silence. Her heart started to beat fast. So was Ricky's. 

Gina: (She laughed.) Well, good night, Ricky.

And then she got out of the car. She had the temptation to kiss him on the cheek again, but felt like it was too soon for both. Ricky smiled at her and watched her get inside.