Chapter 9

𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫 hums a quiet tune for himself, as he prepares the Demon for an injection. He carefully sanitizes the area on his skin, and begins to poke the needle in. "This is experimental, we're not sure of the side effects yet." Oliver explains, and the Demon lets out an annoyed groan. Oliver ignores him and continues injecting the black liquid into him, just as Dahlia waltzes through the door. She gives him a small smile, and her smile fades when she sees the Demon sitting on the gurney with a syringe plunged into his defined arm. The Demon looks at her with almost pleading eyes, and Oliver waves at her. 

"Good morning, partner'" He says in a fake southern accent, and grins at her. She looks at the pair curiously. "What's going on here?" She asks, putting the white lab-coat over her shirt. Oliver stammers as he tries to think of an explanation. "Oh, Gerald dropped off a new shipment of shots for us to test on grumpster." He bluffs, and Dahlia squints at him. Before she can say anything, the Demon cuts them both off. "Actually, they're trying to kill me. They're trying to develop a serum that kills Demons, and I'm the unlucky test rat." He explains, with a bitter grin. Dahlia shudders, imagining the pain he must be going through. Oliver looks at the Demon with a sharp gaze, and he throws his hands up in defense. 

"Why are they trying to kill demons?" Dahlia asks, and looks at both of them with a deadpan look on her face. Oliver changes the subject, "Better question, why do you look like a raccoon?" He jokes, referring to her dark makeup. She sighs and says nothing, walking over to them. She inspects the Demon's arm, and hisses at Oliver. "You didn't administer the shot correctly. The needle snapped off and broke in his arm." She tells him off in a stern voice, and Oliver shrugs. The Demon gasps and looks over at Oliver, and in a dramatic voice, says "Oh, my! The betrayal!" He cries out sarcastically, and Oliver rolls his eyes. Dahlia grabs his arm and pushes against the spot, trying to feel for the needle. The Demon winces, and she looks up at him with a regretful gaze. "I'm gonna have to cut open the spot, and manually take out the needle before it causes needle embolism and kills you." She explains plainly, preparing the scalpel, and he looks at her. "I didn't know you cared about me that much." He teases, and she glares at him. "I don't."

He watches her the whole time she cuts him open, and she occassionally reminds him to stop staring, yet he doesn't listen. Eventually, she gets annoyed and slaps his arm against the gurney, emitting a pained moan to leave his lips. "Don't hurt me like that, I'll get turned on." He jokes, yet his gaze is darkened. She scoffs and rolls her eyes, before finding the needle and pulling it out using a pair of tweezers. She carefully sews up the incision, and he only winces ever so slightly. "So, do you feel pain or not?" She asks, genuine curiosity in her voice. "A little bit, though it's very dull." He responds, a little pride dripping from his voice. Dahlia nods, and finishes the last stitch. "There, you're good to go!" She smiles proudly, and he claps sarcastically, causing her smile to fade and a scowl to form instead. 

As she takes her gloves off and walks to the sink, Oliver stops her. "Hey, how did you get so good at that? You're practically a doctor." He asks, wonder and admiration in his eyes. She shrugs and gives him a small smile. "When my dad got sick, we couldn't afford to take him to the doctor all the time, so I learned what I could about medicine and illnesses from the internet." She explains, and Oliver gives her a prolonged "Oh" before giving her a sympathetic glance. She raises her hands "It's all good, really." She says, but he doesn't seem convinced.

They begin to walk back, when the Demon pushes Oliver against the wall and repeatedly slams his head into the hard block. Oliver groans and yells out in pain, and Dahlia screams, holding the Demon back as best as she can. She calls for help, and after a few minutes, Gerald and Selma both come running into the room. Gerald looks as irritated as ever, but Selma looks relieved to see that it's not her being hurt. "Stop! Now!" Gerald yells out, and the Demon drops Oliver, his chest heaving up and down. The Demon looks at Dahlia one last time, before returning to his 'cell'. Oliver lays against the wall, unconscious, blood dripping down his forehead. The terrified woman quickly runs to him and applies pressure to his wound before checking his pulse, and to her relief, he was miraculously breathing.