Chapter 25

┈┈┈┈․° ☣ °․┈┈┈┈

𝐈𝐭 was a new day, and Dahlia had spent her morning concocting a plan. A plan to break into Gerald's office once more, and steal the book without being noticed, or seen. Her plan included briefing both Selma and Oliver on the situation at hand, and hopefully getting them on board. It was risky, and probably stupid, but she was going to do what ever it takes. Her plan consisted of Oliver distracting Gerald while she used the employee 3-D printer to print a similar copy of the book, it wouldn't be similar enough to act as a stunt double for the actual book, but it would be similar enough that it would look the same to the naked eye. 

Selma's part in the plan would be to supply Dahlia with keys to the office, and a key-card for Lucien. And finally, Lucien would accompany Dahlia, her own partner in crime. For now, Dahlia was going to go into the building and act out her day as normal. 

After getting dressed in a black turtle-neck sweater, and a pair of dark flared jeans, she threw on her trench-coat and a pair of boots. "Okay, Dahlia, you got this. You are smart, you didn't get any sleep, and you created a flawless plan. Oliver and Selma are your friends, and there is no way they wouldn't help you." She spoke to herself in the floor-length mirror, tucking a loose strand of curled hair behind her ear. 

For the first time in her life, she wasn't doubting herself. Maybe it was the deliriousness from her restless night, or maybe it was the burning need to protect her and Lucien's relationship. She knew she had to do something, and she knew she was going to stick to it. As she drove to the building, she did her breathing exercises to sooth her nerves, but it didn't seem to work.

Despite not doubting herself, her anxiety was at an all-time high. There were a million different ways the plan could backfire, but she tried her best not to let the worst case scenario cloud her mind. She pulled into the parking lot, and took one last deep breath before stepping out of the car. She put on her best game-face, and acted as though everything was normal. 

"Good morning, Selma." She greeted the older woman with a nervous smile, and Selma smiled back. "Good morning, Dahlia. Everything okay?" She asked, sensing the anxiety in the younger woman. Dahlia inhaled, "Actually, can you come with me to the lab? There's something I have to tell you.", She asked politely, and Selma furrowed her eyebrows but ultimately decided to follow her into the lab. 

As they make their way across the hallway and into the room, Selma freezes when she sees Lucien sat on the gurney. Dahlia senses this, and holds her hand comfortingly. They walk into the room, and Oliver looks at them, puzzled, with a chart in his hands. "What's going on?" He asked, tilting his head. Dahlia gestured them to sit, and Oliver mindlessly sat next to Lucien, while Selma hesitantly sat on the stool. 

"I've gathered you all here to discuss my plan to figure out what is going on in this building." She began, and they all looked at her expectingly. Lucien sighed, cutting her off. "I told you I'm not okay with you doing this, Dahlia." He argued, and she slumped her shoulders. "Please just listen to me, Lucien." She pleaded, and he looked at her in defeat.

Selma looked over at Oliver, and he shrugged. "As some of you know, Lucien and I have a relationship." She adds, and Selma's jaw drops. "Yo-You? And the demon?!" She exclaims, and Oliver rubs her shoulder in an attempt to calm her down. "Selma, please. I know Lucien would never hurt me, and I would never do anything to hurt him. It's not the same as Mortimer, please just try to understand." She frowns, approaching Selma and crouching in front of her. 

Selma nods hesitantly, her face still scrunched up. Dahlia stands up and continues, "I sneaked into Gerald's office and found some pretty weird stuff, and I have reason to believe he murdered Mortimer. Not only does he have several files from several demons, Mortimer's cause of death was inconclusive." She explains, taking a breath and carrying on. "I also found the demon summoning book, and I think he's summoning demons to purposefully kill them, which is not only unethical, but completely unprofessional for an establishment like this." She reaches into her bag and pulls out multiple papers. 

"I stayed up and made this plan, and for the safety of all of us, I hope you'll help me accomplish it." She pinned the papers on the white-board, and looked back at them. They all squinted, reading the papers. She began to explain her plan, and everyone's role in her plan, and Oliver didn't seem opposed.

"I know there's been some weird shit goin' on with my Pops', I didn't know it was this bad." He added, surprised. The way Gerald acted whenever Mortimer, or Selma's daughter, or his late wife was brought up, no wonder they had these suspicions. Selma, however, bit her lip as though the was biting back words. Her face was unreadable, and her eyes were filled with sadness. 

"The plan will be put into action tomorrow, I'm hoping for your sake, you all agree with me." Dahlia concludes, rubbing her hands together. As Oliver and Selma walk off, she approaches Lucien. "What do you think?" She asks him hesitantly, and he looks down. "I think you're a genius, my little rabbit. But the only way I'll let you do this is if you let me come with you." He admits, and she laughs. "Of course, who else is gonna be my bodyguard?" She jokes, and he smirks. 

"So, tomorrow?" He repeats, and she nods, sighing. He held onto her hand and pulled her arm into him, and she smiled, pressing a kiss against his cold lips. 

┈┈┈┈․° ☣ °․┈┈┈┈