Chapter 18

𝐃𝐚𝐡𝐥𝐢𝐚 nervously shifted as they drove to the bar. Oliver, on the other hand, couldn't contain his excitement. She traveled her gaze down his body, his bruises and wounds peaked through his hastily applied bandages, and he had to replace his bandages every few hours. Various stitched up cuts around his neck, and a prominent scar below his eye. She couldn't help but feel guilty, despite it not being her fault.

She didn't agree with Lucien's jealous ways, and he definitely had no right to put her only friend in the hospital. Perhaps they got off on the wrong foot, and Oliver had been working with him prior to her arrival, so who knows the lengths of their history. Oliver and Lucien barely tolerated one another, with Oliver treating him like a ragdoll and Lucien finally snapping. 'Perhaps I can mend their relationship.' Dahlia thought to herself, nodding lightly. Deep down, she knows she can't have much of an effect on them, but she'd go to any lengths to try to keep Lucien from hurting her friend further.

One thing he said stuck with her though, "He has a thing for you.", Lucien's voice rings in her brain as she remembers his words. There's no way Oliver could view Dahlia as anything more than a friend, right? Oliver was touchy, and friendly by nature. She'd noticed that, not only in his behavior with her, but how he treated everyone else. He always seemed to buddy up with everyone, being open and honest about his feelings. 

It's something Dahlia envied, his ability to magically befriend anyone and everyone. Hell, he'd even managed to befriend her, and she's notoriously shut off. There's something about him that makes him easy to talk to, he always finds a way to make light of a bad situation. Something in her screamed at her not to confess her sins to him, a deep fear that he'd look down upon her and they'd drift apart like everyone else in her life. Dahlia often contemplated whether she was the problem, whether she subconsciously pushed everyone away the second they started showing that they care.

Maybe that's what this is, her subconscious' attempt at pushing Oliver away. But it has to be done, this was weighing on her and impacting her ability to focus, her ability to be a good member of society. She inhaled sharply as she drove around the corner and found herself at the bar. The old building, what used to be a laundromat owned by a sweet old man, was bought over by two hipsters and turned into a bar. An 'Artisanal Brewery', is what they call it.

The exterior is dark wood, and it's decorated with various colored string-lights, shining bright upon the big wooden sign with the name 'Mac & Mulligan's' engraved into the rustic surface. She raised her eyebrows upon seeing the bar, and Oliver squealed in excitement, almost jumping up and down. She chuckled at his antics, and they set foot into the pretentious palace. 

Bean-bags were in distant corners of the room, the light inside was intentionally dimmed, and there were all sorts of post-ironic signs decorating the slightly worn down walls. "You know, if I hadn't known this place was decorated by hipsters, I'd think it was a crack house." Dahlia joked, snorting slightly. Oliver gasped and playfully punched her shoulder, "Come on, this place is packed!" He exclaimed, excitedly seating himself at the bar. Dahlia followed by, and shifted uncomfortably in the barstool. 

"Sup, what can I get you guys?" The unenthusiastic bartender asked, polishing a glass. Oliver hummed and squinted at the chalkboard menu, before deciding on one of their artisanal craft beers. "I'll get a gin and tonic, keep them coming." Dahlia chimed in, fidgeting with her rings nervously as she dreads what's about to come. 

The man, who she learned is named 'Darren', served Oliver first, pouring him the beer into a mason jar. She held back a laugh, and the dark-skinned man gave her a puzzled look. He served her next, and she almost immediately poured the bitter liquid down her throat. "Woah, you know you're supposed to sip those, right?" Darren laughed, and Oliver widened his eyes at her.

"Keep. Them. Coming." She enunciated, staring at him with a serious look in her eyes. He nodded and poured her another one, and Oliver decided to join in on the fun, drinking his beer rapidly. "I'll pay our whole tab, my treat." Dahlia announced, cringing slightly, imagining the impact the most likely overpriced drinks would have on her old wallet.

"Woo! Hell yeah, Winslow!" Oliver pumped his fist in the air, and yelled over the loud music. She felt delirious, several drinks later, and Oliver followed by. He could barely sit upright at the bar, so she decided it was the right moment.

"Oliver, I have to tell you something." Dahlia said, her speech slurred and delayed. She grabbed Oliver's face and pulled his head towards her, he widened his eyes and hiccuped "Y-Yeah?". She sighed and released him, placing her head on the bar. "I did something st-stupid." She admitted, refusing to look at him. He patted her back reassuringly, and she almost threw up right then and there. 

"Lucien and I had a moment." She groaned, smacking her forehead repeatedly. Oliver didn't respond, and she looked at him curiously. "I know." He shrugs blankly. Her eyes almost popped out of her head, "You KNOW?!" She exclaimed, her jaw agape. "Yeah, of course I know! I'm not stupid, ya know. The sexual tension in there was so thick, I could've cut it with a knife." He shivered, swirling his drink in the jar. She groaned again, shutting her eyes tightly.

"I don't really care that much, you guys are both adults. But like, don't die!" He yells over the music, trying to reassure her. She laughed loudly, and almost fell off of the stool, causing him to laugh as well. She gives him a side hug, and he reciprocates, wincing slightly at the pressure on his bruised ribs. She apologizes quickly, causing him to make a 'Pfft' sound.

Suddenly, Dahlia feels a tap on her shoulder. She spins around to see a man sat on the stool on the other side of her, and he smiles warmly at her. "I'm Julius. And you are?" He asks, twiddling his toothpick in his mouth. He smelled of beer and cigarettes, but she accepted the greeting with open arms. "I'm Dahlia." She smiles, shaking his hand. "Let me buy you another drink, you're too pretty for me not to." He offers, before pulling Darren close to him and ordering a drink. 

Oliver pulls her back by the collar of her shirt, causing him to come crashing into his chest. "Dahlia, I think it's time to go." He says, and she furrows her eyebrows at him, before he pulls her out of the bar. "Hey- Wait!" She yells, looking back at Julian who's sat at the bar, looking dumbfounded with the drink in his hands.