CHAPTER ELEVEN, back to friends

"i don't wanna do this to you"

— afterglow, taylor swift

irl.

after gabriella's epiphany the other day, she decided it would be best to just talk to him about everything that has happened so far.

it was currently eight in the morning, and she was sitting in hotel room overthinking the whole situation. the redhead eventually got up and reached for her phone to call. the phone rang for a while before a voice was heard.

"hello?" charles's raspy voice sliced through the atmosphere.

"hey charles! are you busy today?" silence hung in the air for a while before he spoke up. "not that i know of." she let out a slight sigh. her whole plan would've failed if he was doing something.

"okay then...can we hang out? today i mean." gabriella hated how charles and her used to be so close, but now she's a stuttering mess around him. she wished it could go back to the way it was. without all the drama, and definitely without courtney.

"sure, i don't have anything planned." the conversation soon ended after that, and both got ready for their meeting. they had decided on a random park that logan had recommended to her.

the duo was now seated on a park bench. charles was staring up at the sky, while gabby was watching the empty playground.

"so, i wanted to talk about everything." she said. he looked down at the woman beside her and slowly nodded.

"can i go first?" his eyes were pleading.

"i'm really sorry, you know?" he was now facing the girl beside him with the softest look she had ever seen. gabriella was no doubt the best thing to ever happen to charles. she could never be replaced or replicated. no one would ever come close.

"i'm really sorry for not talking, i'm sorry for the way i've been treating you, i'm sorry for the whole courtney situation. especially for the courtney situation.

"charles-"

"no, just listen. okay?" he pleaded, his eyes were close to tears. "you are such an amazing person, and such a good friend. i'm sorry i took advantage of our friendship. not having you by my side for the past month has made my life feel like hell. i thought maybe courtney could fill that void, but i could only ever think about you. because everything is about you."

gabriella was shocked. she had called charles up, to apologize, not to be receiving one. his apology almost made her bust into tears because of how sincere it felt.

"i don't want to be like this. to be friends one day and not be talking the next." gabriella said. "i don't want to lose any of this with you."

charles pulled her in for a hug, and the duo stayed like that for a while.

after the hug ended, Gabriella pulled away and wiped her eyes. "i got your shirt all wet." she laughed. charles just looked at her with admiration while brushing it off.

they eventually decided to actually do something productive, so on their last day in miami, the two were together the whole day.

they played in the park — earning a few weird stares from parents as their children played in the park, got ice scream from a local stand, and charles signed a few autographs.

for once it seemed like everything had gone back to normal. there was no courtney. there was no aiden. it was just gabby and charles, like it always was.

 it was just gabby and charles, like it always was

AUTHORS NOTE !

look who's back to being friends 🥹