chapter 27 - books

"Birthday banquet?" Yuzu gets the shocking news early in the morning from Meimei.

"Empress dowager's birthday is next week and she wants to throw a big banquet this year." Meimei reports "she is inviting princes and princesses , Kings and queens of neighbouring countries."

Yuzu frowns "she didn't even celebrate her last few birthdays and this time she wants a big celebration? Why does it sound so wrong ?"

Meimei shrugs "I have no idea but I heard some gossip in the palace. Want to know ?"

Yuzu raises his one eyebrow "what ?"

"They were saying she is inviting other kingdoms to officially declare Jia-li's pregnancy and announce the Jia-li's son as crown prince."

Yuzu frowns. In his last life there was no such banquet. As far as he knows empress dowager hates getting old so as she doesn't ...

"Master!"

Yuzu comes out of his thoughts "huh ? What ?"

"I asked what about that Jia-li's punishment ? Wouldn't you punish her today ?" 

Yuzu sighs "I never intended to punish her Meimei. I just wanted to remind her,  her position."

"You wouldn't punish her ?" Meimei protests angry.

Yuzu chuckles "what you want me to do ? Chop her hair, take her ornaments .. like others suggested ? I can't do that Meimei. I am not like them and I have realised I can never be like them."

"But ..."

"She needs mental and physical peace for the unborn child Meimei. I am not thinking about her but the child." Yuzu hits on Meimei's head lightly.

Yuzu stands up , fixing his robe. "Now, I need to visit Empress Dowager, to see if she needs anything from noble consort. If his highness wakes up and ask you anything .. let him know that."

Meimei grins. She danced all night alone in her room after his highness visited her master.  "Ok master. I will let his highness know."

Zixuan opens his eyes as soon as yuzu and Meimei leaves the bedchamber. He sits on the bed slowly and looks at his fist. He is holding the red silk cloth that Yuzu used to cover his face last night.

"You are aging like fine wine consort Yuzu. The more you age , the more you intoxicate and I am already  intoxicated." Zixuan chuckles before climbing down the bed. "Birthday banquet ?"

"Is there any special reason that the empress mother wants to throw this banquet ?" Yuzu asks after finishing his morning greeting to Empress Dowager.

"Why ? My birthday is not special or do I need your permission to throw a banquet ?" Empress dowager hiss with a smile on her face at the same time.

"It's not that. I am asking if I need to prepare something special for this ..."

"Who are you to prepare ? I don't remember giving you any responsibility of my banquet?" Empress dowager scoffs.

"He is the noble consort of Zi, mother. It's his duty." Zixuan enters empress dowager's without any courtesy.

Empress dowager tilts her head "Zixuan.." she smiles mockingly "you know, it took me almost six months to teach you how to walk on your own."

Zixuan frowns.

"No .. it looks like these days, you forgot that as I never see you walking without consort Yuzu."

Yuzu takes a deep breath in. He feels headache already. He should not have come here. But he knows if he wouldn't have come, empress dowager would call his father to insult him and his upbringing.