chapter 39

"Master ! What are you thinking ?" Meimei asks placing a bowl of soup in front of Yuzu.

Yuzu looks at Meimei "nothing much .. just." Yuzu stops in the middle. Meimei doesn't know about Zhan. Nobody in this world knows about Zhan. Only he knows. But how can he ...

"Meimei .. do you know anyone in this palace .. I mean any guards, servant or royal ... Who has kind of similar look like his highness ?"

Meimei frowns "same look like his highness ? Impossible.. his highness is the most beautiful man in entire Zi."

Yuzu rolls his eyes. Sometimes he feels like Meimei has a Zixuan complex. His highness this .. his highness that ...

"Why are you asking master ?" 

"Because with whom Jia-li planned to replace her different race son ? Isn't it ?"

Yuzu looks up hearing a man's voice. "Prince Yang xi ?"

"I am sorry for eavesdropping, noble consort but I was just passing by when I heard this question. So I decided to answer." Yang xi replies from the entrance.

Yuzu stands up from his seat with a light smile "I didn't accuse you for eavesdropping."

"Then was my answer right ?"

Yuzu nods "kind of."

Yang xi smiles "I can help you with this thing. I know who looks exactly like emperor Zixuan."

Yuzu's eyes lit up "who ?"

"His brother." 

"His highness doesn't have a brother ?" Meimei suddenly interrupts.

Yuzu looks at Yang xi with a frown too. Zixuan really doesn't have a brother.

Yang xi shrugs "Consort Yuzu have you ever wondered why empress mother hates you this much ? Why she planned so many things to throw you out ?"

"Because I am boy. I can't bear an heir." Yuzu replies casually.

"So ? It's not like other consorts and concubines have any pressure to produce an heir ? Not all of them produces an heir ... Consort Yuzu."

Yuzu tries to understand Yang Xi's words. It's true that Afreen , Zubina ..didn't produces an heir either but they can ... He can't. Isn't it the only reason of empress dowager's hating him ?

***

"Why ? You are asking me why ?" Empress dowager shouts at her sob with a glare.

"Mother,  come out of the past. It's been a long time."

"It's easy for you because you are not a mother. Have you ever thought how I feel ? Every time I look at your male consort, I feel like he is going to snatch you from me. I will be all alone again." Empress dowager voice breaks.

"Yuzu is not like that, mother. Yuzu is a different person why can't you accept that ?" Zixuan pinches his nose bridge.

Empress dowager chuckles "I heard this same line before Zixuan. Same line .. "

"Mother .."

Empress dowager raises her palm to stop Zixuan "If you are here to fight for your male consort then I have nothing to say. I don't and I can't accept him as your other half. Never in my life."

"Aren't you doing it wrong ?" 

"I did right things all my life , Zixuan. What did I get ? Those who have done all the wrong things got everything in the end."