*chapter 29 - Apology

"I will apologise." Yuzu utters as soon as Zixuan turns to leave.

Zixuan stops his steps. He turns around. "what did you say ?"

"You heard it." Yuzu states firmly. He is not afraid of Zixuan. He doesn't even care about his position but he can't lose Meimei. If apologising is the only way then...

"Then do it now. What are you waiting for." Empress dowager chimes in.

Jia-li smirks. How she wish Afreen was here. That bitch was giving her advice. She should have seen it. Consort Yuzu apologising to a mere concubine like her. What a show.

Yuzu tilts his head with a big sigh. He looks at Jia-li's smirk.

'Beg me'

Yuzu reads Jia-li's lips that were directed at him. He sighs again.

"I am really sorry , concubine Jia-Li." Yuzu utters simply like he is saying good morning. There is no emotion, no regret, no shame in his voice.

Jia-li's face fell. Why does it look like consort Yuzu is saying this just to stop her tantrum. She grinds her teeth "if consort Yuzu doesn't mean it, then he doesn't need to say it."

One of general who was old friend of Minister Bai finally opens his mouth again "This is not right, concubine Jia-li. Don't forget noble consort Yuzu is far higher in rank than you. Yet he said sorry to you. Isn't it enough ? Do you want him to beg ?"

Jia-Li glares at the general. That general can say all of this to her just because she is a Concubine and not legal wife of his highness. Tomorrow she will be the noble consort then she will see him.

"Concubine Jia-li has been wronged, general Shen. She has enough right to measure the concern of the apology that is directed at her." Empress dowager almost shouts at the general.

"Apologise again." Empress dowager orders Yuzu.

Yuzu smiles thinly. He doesn't know why empress dowager hates him that much. Is it just because he is a boy and can't bear a heir ? Then why she invited prince Yaad to this palace. Prince Yaad is also a boy and from the tone of her, Yuzu realised he will not be the only male consort of Zixuan for long.

Yuzu's heart aches again. Why is he still greedy to be the only male consort of Zixuan ? Why suddenly he feels his past life was better ?

"Consort Yuzu."

Yuzu hears empress dowager's voice. He looks up. This time his eyes are bloodshot.

Empress dowager takes a step back looking at Yuzu's angry face. She gulps. Even if she hate Yuzu, she can't offend minister Bai.

Minister Bai holds a certain power in Zi kingdom. Even when he is not here, he has one follower to defend his son. Also, she accepted Yuzu in the harem to keep minister Bai in hand.

"consort Yuzu, I am not your enemy. And It's not like I am favouring a concubine more than you. It's just I am worried about the unborn baby." Empress dowager retreats her steps carefully "you don't want to hurt Zixuan's baby , right ? That baby is yours too."

Yuzu's face softens a little bit remembering a cute face from past life. When he first met crown prince in his Abandoned chamber. Yuzu fells a breakdown suddenly. His eyes become teary. He can't hold back anymore. He needs to leave this room.

"Concubine Jia-li, I am really sorry that my maid called you a whore. She is immature and a kid. I will teach her a lesson on this and I promise she will never call you a whore again.

And if you are worried about your baby. Then as empress dowager said his highness's baby is my baby too. So, I would never hurt him."

Yuzu said the words in one go.