addiction pt2

Subaru's POV

"Why did you run away earlier?" Emilia suddenly asked me.

I froze in fear.

I can't exactly tell her that I died after she made me a promise. Can't even tell anyone about Return by death, tried with Kazuma and that... purple hand just comes out of nowhere and-

"Hey Subaru," oh right, Emilia just asked me a question. What am I supposed to say, when that purple hand can just come out of nowhere and crush my heart? How is one supposed to justify a fear that could very well be called 'primal'?

"I just... had a nightmare, so I just needed some time for myself, I'm all fine now though, so nothing to worry about Millie," I said, coming up with a flimsy excuse. It seemed to work, so it was fine.

"Where did Millie come from?" She asked, a little surprised.

"It's just a nickname that I made for you," This time I didn't start blushing, as much as the last loop at the very least.

"Waaah," Puck yawned as he appeared from behind Emilia. "It's like when I call you, ah, Lia," He continued, still waking up.

"Oh," Emilia uttered as she nodded understandingly, and then sent me a million-volt smile.

"That smile is the most priceless thing I have ever seen, I'll do my best to make you smile every day!" I couldn't contain those words as I let them loose, making her blush profusely.

"Stop it," she muttered while looking away from me.

"Your smile is amazing, but your innocent blushing face is sweet enough to give me heart attacks!", I said while trying to not blush further. Any more of this and I might die of a heat stroke.

"OH MY, did I hurt you!?" she suddenly exclaimed, very alarmed. Never mind, it seems like the innocent and kind girl would worry for me regardless.

"I'm fine Millie, my angel, you could never hurt me," I said hoping they knew what angels are in this world.

"Stop it," She said shyly while averting her gaze towards the ground at her feet.

"But I really mean it," I said with all the sincerity I could muster. That stunned her as she turned away from me. It wasn't like I was lying, after all. I really, really did mean it!

"What do you think this means Puck?" I asked, pointing to a now more awake floating cat.

"She isn't used to having friends or people giving her compliments, so while she craves it, she isn't good at handling affection and tenses up when she actually gets it," he explained. It seems like partnering with this cat would go a long way in helping me secure dates in the future with Millie.

Kazuma's POV

I walked into the library, with Felt right behind me. Beatrice looked like she was blowing bubbles, the bubbles would then fall down into a basket, giving off a tiny "plop" when it dropped into the basket.

"Oh, you are ready to go, I suppose," Beatrice said without looking over at me and Felt.

"Depends on if you are done with your part,"

"I am, the mana stones are in the basket, and... you're not alone, I suppose," Her tone shifted from a slightly cheerful undertone to her usual cold tone. How preoccupied was she with making those stones?

"Yeah she wanted to come with me, and I am not going to stop her from helping me," I retorted while walking over to the basket.

"Hey Beatrice, do I just hold one of these when I want to transfer mana to it?"