Love at First Sight - 3

The next day Hazel's parents went out so Hazel was told to 'look after' Amber. This basically meant watching as Amber set off to her friend Kayla's house. Hazel didn't stop her. She didn't even try to control Amber.

When Hazel was alone she decided to call Stella. Hazel hadn't told Amber about what happened with Alfie. She couldn't put her finger on why but it just felt weird. Maybe because Amber and Alfie are friends and Hazel had never really been close with her younger sister. Stella was the one Hazel was closest to.

Technically, Stella had moved out for university, but she only moved because she wanted to be independent and the university she goes to is very close to home so she visited her family whenever she was free.

When Stella arrived, Hazel told her everything.

"So that's it?" Stella asked, "You didn't even get his number or anything?"

"I was scared to ask! I didn't want to be intense."

"Intense?" Stella laughed "The boy kissed you within an hour of meeting! I don't think you need to worry."

Hazel blushed, she was almost scared to show Stella how happy she was. She was sure it was too much. Of course, Stella could read her little sister like a book, and was thrilled for her.

"I'm going to wait for him next week. I don't care if hanging around after her class makes Amber mad, I have to see him again."

As if on cue, Amber returned home. She didn't even say hi to Stella before launching into "I need to tell you something."

Hazel sighed. Amber being overdramatic about something and completely blocking out anything that happened to anyone else was a regular occurrence.

Stella, ever the compassionate sister, asked "What is it?"

"I like a boy."

Hazel, who had no interest in hearing about Amber's millionth crush this year, was about to tune out. Then she was violently jerked back to reality.

"He goes to my dance class! He's really fit. He's tall, he's got deep blue eyes and-"

"But he's sixteen!" Hazel said before she could stop herself.

Amber raised her eyebrows.

"How do you know?"

Hazel could have lied to save herself and Amber at least for a few more days, but she couldn't bring herself to say anything but the truth. Her feelings for Alfie had already grown past reason.

"Amber, I met Alfie yesterday, when you went to Kayla's house. He said he'd noticed me before. That he was curious about me. We spent some time together and..."

Amber turned icily pale. Her eyes widened like they were about to fall out, so she could pick them up and throw them at Hazel.

"It was just a kiss! I didn't know that you-"

Amber silenced Hazel with a look that would have melted iron.

"So he likes you? And you like him back? You're going to go out together? Be a couple? You and Alfie? Is that right?"

"Amber, calm down." Stella interjected before Hazel had a chance to respond.

"I'm talking to Hazel! You don't even live here anymore." Amber snapped.

"Amber stop this." Hazel said "Alfie and I kissed once. I don't know what's going to happen."

"But you want him! You want to take him from me!"

"He's not yours Amber! You're just a child!"

Amber's fists clenched and for a second it seemed like she was going to hit Hazel. Then she turned and stormed out.

***

A week later Hazel was still getting the silent treatment from Amber, but she didn't care. She was high on excitement about seeing Alfie again, maybe even getting his number! The idea of texting Alfie filled Hazel with tiny bubbles of joy.

Hazel's heart leapt as she watched the dance students start to flood out of the building. Any second now she would see Alfie... The flood of kids thinned and Hazel started to worry, but then remembered that Amber hadn't come out yet either. Any second now... Hazel suddenly though about Amber and Alfie alone together in the studio, then dug her nails hard into her wrist. She would not be jealous of a fourteen year old.

What are they doing in there? They should be out any second...

"Excuse me?" Hazel said to a model thin blonde girl who exited the building like she was walking into battle with the world and knew she would win "Do you know Alfie? Is he coming out soon?"

The blonde looked Hazel up and down, assessing if she was worth her time. Then she laughed.

"Just keep waiting." She smirked.

As the blonde girl walked away Hazel felt ridiculous, and realised she probably look it too. She was just a sad, desperate, plain girl waiting for a super-hot boy who would never look twice at her. Of course that girl was laughing. Why would Alfie spend time with Hazel when he could get girls like her?

"Hazel?"

She looked up, a puffy eyed Amber was running towards her. Amber had been crying! She never cries!

"What happened?"

"He's gone." Amber started to sob again "Alfie left. I don't know why. Our teacher just said that he left."

Something inside Hazel shattered into a thousand pieces. How could she have though that their meeting would be the beginning of some beautiful love story? She would never see Alfie again.

"How could he leave?" Amber continued, still in tears "How could he leave after what he did to you? How could he kiss you then just disappear? I'm sorry that I was so mean to you. I didn't think this would happen."

Hazel suddenly felt a rush of affection for her younger sister. Losing Alfie must have really hit her. She never apologises for anything. Alfie was Amber's close friend, and her crush as well as Hazel's.

Even though they hadn't hugged for at least five years, Hazel put her arms around Amber and comforted her. Why should she feel sorry for herself? Hazel had known Alfie for five minutes. This was Amber's pain, she told herself. But deep inside Hazel disagreed. She was feeling more pain than she'd ever admit.

A week later Amber sang in the talent show at school and won. Hazel and Stella were proud, they both loved and hated having such a talented younger sister. Hazel knew Amber would be fine. She would get over Alfie because that's just Amber. She's always been resilient.