Friends and Enemies - 3

The academic year at Westwood Dance Academy started on a Saturday. Most students spent the weekend exploring the school, surrounding areas and getting to know each other. Stella, the social butterfly of the Bell sisters, flourished in this environment and, with Maddie constantly by her side, made many friends. Hazel did not. Sticking with Stella and Maddie felt pointless to her because she just couldn't keep up, and she didn't want to be attached to her older sister for the rest of her life anyway. Hazel didn't even try to hang out with Amber, who also seemed to be enjoying herself. Hazel had seen her around the building with Ella, Ella's boyfriend and occasionally one or two other kids. It was hard for Hazel to watch her sisters make friends so easily while finding it so hard herself.

The first two days seemed endless. Then finally on Sunday evening Hazel walked alone into a quite corridor alone. She found an empty practice studio and the door had been left unlocked, so she slipped in and spent the rest of the day dancing to music blasting from her phone.

At about 7pm Hazel looked into the mirror and caught sight of a pretty blonde girl watching her though the door. Hazel blushed with embarrassment and turned off the music, but Maisie simply drifted away without a word.

Monday morning took all of five minutes to make Hazel stressed again. She looked at the timetable she had been given and her stomach tightened into knots because she knew she'd never be able to find the correct rooms.

"Hey, are you okay?

Hazel had not spoken to either of the sisters she lived with since Kara's awful recognition of her, but now Maisie was standing behind her. She was smiling.

"You seem confused."

"Um... yeah, I have contemporary class now but I don't know where the room is. N108."

"It's okay, I'm going that way. I'll show you."

"Thanks"

Hazel followed Maisie in silence, waiting for her to say something. Eventually, she did.

"I saw you dancing yesterday. You're really good."

"Thank you."

"No wonder you got a place here straight away." Maisie continued "I was rejected twice before getting in on the waitlist two years ago, but I'm here now so that's all that matters."

Hazel nodded. Maisie seemed very nice, but Hazel was unsure of how to communicate with her. Maisie sensed this awkwardness and decided to address the elephant in the room.

"Of course, Kara got in straight away."

"She must be very talented."

"She is, but... not much better than me." Maisie paused for a second "Don't tell her I said this, but I think Kara gets through a lot of life on confidence points. She can be a lot to handle."

"I can tell."

Maisie hesitated for a second "I'm sorry about what she said to you."

"It's not your fault."

"I know, but she I my sister so I feel responsible for her. I wish she would apologize herself, but she won't."

Hazel relaxed, the apology made her feel so much better.

"Thank you, I appreciate that." Hazel said.

"Your class is juts down there." Maisie pointed "See you later."

"See you."

Maisie left and Hazel suddenly felt excited to be at Westwood Dance Academy. Living with Kara was going to be tough, but her and Maisie would be friends.