Friends and Enemies - 5

Ella was right. The rivalry between her and Kara continued to grow throughout the term, but it stayed low-key until, just before the first half term break, Ms Sara called Ella and Kara back after class.

"Girls," she began "I must say how wonderfully you two are doing in this class."

"Thank you." Ella said.

"That's because we have such a good teacher." Kara cooed. Ella fought not to role her eyes.

"Thank you darling. Anyway, as you know, we're going to start working on our Christmas production after the half term and it's going to be Swan Lake."

Ms Sara paused for effect and both girls gasped. Ella loved Swan Lake, it was the first ballet she'd ever been to see.

"I'm in charge of the production this year, so obviously there will be a lot of acro dance involved." Ms Sara continued "That's why I decided to tell you two early. As the strongest female acro dancers it's likely one of you will be cast as Odile."

"Really!" Ella gasped, beside herself with excitement "That would be a dream!"

"It's every dancer's dream." Kara smirked "Nothing's going to stop me making it real."

Ella wasn't intimidated by Kara. She found the competition helped her, she just wished Kara didn't have to be so mean.

"Good luck girls and I'll see you at auditions."

As her and Kara left the room, all Ella could think about was getting that part. She thought about telling her parents, about them and Jamie in the audience watching. Then she saw Kara walking rigidly in front of her, like a soldier. Ella had to make this work somehow.

"Kara!"

Kara turned and flashed Ella her fake smile.

"No hard feelings either way, right? Whatever happens-"

"Well that depends." Kara cut her off "How will you feel when you're dancing behind me?"

"I'm just saying, we should keep this competition friendly."

"But we're not friends!" Kara's intimidating exterior dropped for a moment and she was showing genuine anger "I don't like you and you don't like me. Stop being so fake."

"I'm not being fake!"

"I don't like you." Kara repeated, with the air of explaining something to a child "Anyway, there's no competition. I've been a student hear for two years, you're basically a child. I don't see why you're even trying to compete with me."

"Ms Sara said one of us would get the part, not just you!"

Kara rolled her eyes "Exactly. One of us. She meant me. Now go, I don't want to talk to you anymore."

Kara walked away before Ella could say anything else. Ella watched her go, heart thudding.

***

"So, do you think you'll get it?" Amber asked when Ella finished telling her and Jamie what happened.

"I don't know, I mean, Kara is good."

Amber rolled her eyes and laughed "You're too nice Elle."

"Come on, there's no reason for me not to-"

"Amber's right babe." Jamie interrupted "Kara's alright, but she's not you."

"Aww Jamie." Ella cooed.

Amber scoffed "She's evil."

Watching Jamie and Ella act all coupley made her feel sick. She was really trying to focus on her friendship with Ella, but her feelings for Jamie were getting stronger the more time the spent together. She didn't want to watch him with someone else.

"Do you have a plan?" Amber asked Ella.

"Practice" Ella shrugged

At that moment Megan walked past with Robin and Ella called out to them.

"Hey Megan! Do you know about Swan Lake?"

Megan turned to Ella, her expression completely blank.

"Um, yeah, Kara told me." Megan said, before quickly walking away.

"I thought you and Megan were friends?" Jamie asked.

"We are. I don't know what's up with her."

Amber didn't bother to look up. She and Megan had never really hit it off and honestly she was slightly resentful of her sometimes, worried that Ella liked her more. Amber had never been especially popular but she'd never found it harder to make friends than she had at Westwood. She admired Sapphire a lot since she'd watched her onstage, but her attempts to integrate herself with her and Robin had mostly failed. Ella was Amber's only friend.

"It's because of Kara." Amber said "Kara hates you, and Megan and Kara are best friends."

"Hate is a strong word." Ella said.

"You're her competition."

"That doesn't mean she hates me Amber. Anyway Jamie and I are going to the park this afternoon, do you want to come?"

"No. I'm good." Amber said, then she added "Have fun."

When Ella and Jamie left, Amber sat alone for a second and stared down at the table, asking again and again what was wrong with her. She had always been confident and happy. She had always been a winner. Amber had never been this sad, resentful girl she was turning into.

She had to be the best. Every second of her life she had known it, she was driven by a voice in her ear telling her to work harder. So that's what she did, went to an empty studio and trained. She danced until her whole body ached but the more she practiced, the worse she seemed to get.

Everything was too much. Westwood Dance Academy was intense and Amber feared that she couldn't handle it. She just didn't have what it took. Amber assumed this feeling was only there because she'd been put on that stupid waitlist. She never dared to ask herself if this school was what she really wanted.

Eventually Amber gave up practicing and went to her room. She pulled herself up onto her favourite spot, the widow seat and leaned against the cool glass, putting her headphones in. A love song started to play and for just a moment Amber allowed herself to think about Jamie, before switching the sing and beginning to sing. She lost her consciousness in the soothing notes and told herself to keep sing away the pain, and, whatever happens, to keep on dancing.