Love at First Sight - 6

About ten minutes later, when Amber's audition was over, the green haired girl had taken Amber's place next to Jamie. Amber briefly wondered why, but she didn't think too much of it. Maybe the girl had been interested to watch her dance.

"You did great." Jamie said.

Amber nodded and agreed, she felt pretty good about the audition.

"I know! See you at school." Amber sparkled. She knew Jamie would like her confidence. "You're next by the way, Jamie Adoro" she winked at him.

Jamie swallowed and stood up "Oh no."

He walked in and Amber turned her attention to the girl with a smile.

"Do you think he's into me?" she laughed. Amber was on a complete adrenaline high, not even thinking about what she was saying "Thanks for staying to watch me by the way. Don't feel too intimidated though, you were good."

She girl was unimpressed, she just looked at Amber with her arms folded.

"I'm not intimidated. I only stayed to wait for my boyfriend." She gestured towards the door and smirked "So, sorry Amber, I don't think he's into you."

The rug of Amber's confidence had been ripped out from under her.

"Jamie's your boyfriend! I... oh no, I'm so sorry. You must think I'm a total bitch. Sorry, I'm not. I just don't make the best first impressions. It must be the nerves."

Amber couldn't believe how much of a mess the girl's once sentence had made her, but she never admits to being nervous and she rarely apologises. The girl, though, was smiling.

"It's okay. You didn't know. I'm sure you're a nice person really. You're a really good dancer too. I'm Ella."

"I'm Amber, but you know that. Honestly, I thought you were really good in there too."

Ella smiled warmly and said "So I'm going to stay here and wait for Jamie. Do you have Instagram or anything?"

That was when Amber realised the choice she would have to make. She really wanted to stay and watch Jamie dance, maybe get a few moments with him after, just to see his eyes again. If she did that though, Ella would know that she wanted her boyfriend. So Amber had to pick between Ella and Jamie.

"GoldenAmber3. See you."

Amber headed to the door.

Two weeks later, Amber woke up to a text from Ella. They had barely stopped texting since the audition and had managed to develop a strong friendship, Amber assumed this was because her personality becomes somewhat watered down over text.

Amber had to try very hard to resist the urge to ask about Jamie every day.

Ella: WDA emailed me. I got in!

Ella: Check your email now!!

Amber felt her heart stop momentarily. Her chest knotted and her hands shook as she opened the email app and refreshed the page. The email from Westwood Dance Academy was right there. Her whole future.

Amber: I'm on the waitlist.

Amber refused to believe it. She read and re-read the email, trying to search for an answer. She hadn't got in. she'd been put on the waitlist. She wasn't the best. Ella had got in. She hadn't. Amber's whole world began to crumble. Of course Ella was better than her in every way. She always would be.

Ella: Aw Amber. Don't worry about it. You didn't get completely rejected.

Amber had always tried her best not to cry, but there was no point in that anymore. She already knew she was weak, she would never be good never be good enough. She would never be the person she wanted to be. So why not become someone who cries too.

She got a notification and, although her body was shaking with painful sobs, Amber reached for it.

Unknown: Hey Amber, it's Jamie

Amber felt her tears stop and the aching inside her started to soften into something flutterier. Jamie had texted her.

Amber: Hey

Jamie: Ella told me you got waitlisted for Westwood

As if this couldn't get any worse. Now Jamie knows. Amber had no chance with him to begin with but there's no way he'd ever find her attractive now. He has proof that the girl he's with is talented and Amber is nothing.

Jamie: It's ok, I got waitlisted too.

Amber: You did?

Jamie: Yh. Doesn't feel good does it?

Amber felt comforted with Jamie and able to make herself uncharacteristically vulnerable. This rare moment of weakness was not how she would have chosen for him to speak to her, but they were definitely bonding anyway.

Amber: I thought I did well. I'm not good enough. I should have tried harder.

Jamie: No. You were great. Fr

Amber: Thx. I should have tried harder though

Jamie: Me too. Look, we're both on the waitlist, we can still get in. In fact, I'm sure we will

Amber: Don't be delulu, it's not my style

Jamie: Nah I'm just being positive. I can't wait to see you at school :)

Amber smiled. So what if Jamie is unavailable. So what if he doesn't think about her in the way she thinks of him? It didn't matter. He's still a good friend.

Rebecca: That's the end of the first story! Thank you so much for reading it! I hope you love the characters and are excited to find out more about them in the upcoming stories. The next one is called Friends and Enemies. I'm not gonna reveal too much now but I can say that you'll find out more about Ella in the next story.

While you wait, check out my poem books: So Real, Let's Breathe Roses and Lost in Love as well as my short story Waiting for You.