Chapter 2

The whole situation that happened at school affected me so much that I couldn't concentrate on one thing

My dad and I went to a nearby market to do some shopping, but looking for the things we needed was something I couldn't concentrate on, so I stood like a peg looking at the wide selection of yogurts in the fridge.

"Daisy!" I heard, so I turned and looked at my dad, who was standing behind me. Daisy is my middle name, my dad loved it, that's why he called me that most of the time. Libby or Liberty was what he usually used when I did something wrong. "I got everything. He pointed to a packed car. "Shall we go?"

I nodded. I walked with him to the registers. Luckily, the self-checkout was free and we were able to get out of the store quickly.

"Do you want to get some ice cream?" Dad asked me, slamming the tailgate. "We can talk about anything you want," he added, looking at me intently.

I nodded. "I don't think so. I want to go home now. This is all so new to me. I'm sorry." I said quietly. I really had nothing else on my mind but to go home and retreat to my room.

Dad pointed to the car, so I obediently opened the door and got into the passenger seat, Dad got into the car right behind me and slammed the door shut.

As we turned onto the main road towards the northern part of town where we lived. I could feel him looking at me sideways, wondering how to start a conversation. Dad took care of me for a long time, and I didn't blame him, he was just a caring father who wanted to make up for the time that had been irretrievably taken away from us. He knew it was partly his fault, but now that we were together, I had to admit that he really tried.

"How was your first day of school?" He asked as we slowly approached the poorer part of town and turned into our alley. I shrugged my shoulders at his question.

Even though Dad and Karl made a lot of money, they never moved out of the poor neighborhood. Even our house didn't look like an ordinary house from the outside. An ordinary one-story Victorian, like many others in the area, ours stood out only because it was so neat. Unfortunately, the slums were not known for their neat houses, but this was Karl's home for almost forty years. I think that's why he never moved to a better neighborhood. And we lived on the outskirts of the neighborhood. The houses here were in a little better condition than those further away. But that did not change the fact that it was not a very safe neighborhood. Dad and Karl must have had some unspoken respect among the locals, because they both promised me that nothing would happen to me here.

We parked at the back of our house where there was a double garage that belonged to us and a garden that adjoined our house and was accessible through a door from the kitchen. On one side of our house was a one-story building that must have belonged to a not-so-nice family, because I had heard a lot of yelling and swearing since I moved in, and on the other side was a house that belonged to an old woman, she was nice, but she never talked to my dad any longer than she had to.