chapter one: new home

hello!! thank you for choosing to read my story, i hope you enjoy it🫶🏻🫶🏻

if you have any ideas for future chapters then please feel free to leave them in the comments

(this book is still in progress)

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

today was a big day. my dad and i were moving in with his new fiancé and her son. her name was akari. i had met her a few times and she seemed really nice. but, i had never met her son, niki, although i'd heard good things about him.

i was a little nervous, to be honest. my life was to change a lot from now onwards. i was hoping i'd settle into my new home pretty quickly.

i'd already packed my suitcase the night before, so it didn't take me long to take it out to the car. once i finally sat myself down into the passenger side, i released a long sigh.

"what was that sigh for, hm?" my dad asked.

i shrugged, "i'm nervous, i guess."

"you don't need to be nervous," he told me with a smile, "you like akari, right?"

i nodded.

"exactly, you'll be fine."

starting up the engine, he began reversing the car out from the drive. i glanced up out the window at what used to be my home. my heart ached. that home held so many of my childhood memories, but now i was to start over in a new house, with a new family.

they only lived about a half hour drive away, so the car journey didn't take too long. i waited patiently as my dad parked up beside what seemed to be a very modernised home. it wasn't huge, but it was definitely bigger than my old home.

i gawked in awe as i stepped out from the car. i helped my dad unpack the boot with our bags and suitcases, before following him up the path towards the front door.

i took a deep breath as i watched him knock.

a couple moments later, the sound of shuffling feet could be heard from the other side. the door swung open, revealing an excited looking lady.

"hello!" akari beamed, pulling my dad in for a hug and kissing the side of his cheek.

she soon turned to me, her eyes sparkling with happiness as she also pulled me in for a hug.

"i've been so excited all day," she grinned, "how was the drive over here?"

"it wasn't too bad," my dad replied, taking a step through into the house in which he dumped our stuff in the hallway.

"that's good," akari said, "i have dinner cooking already, it should be done in about half an hour. i thought it would give you both some time to unpack."

"that sounds perfect, my love," my dad smiled, pecking her lips.

"are you hungry, y/n?" she turned to me.

"yeah, a little."

she nodded, before picking up one of my suitcases.

"i'll help you carry your belongings upstairs."

"thank you," i followed her up the staircase with my dad behind me.

now that i was here, my nerves had calmed a little. i was more excited to see my new bedroom than anything.

my dad seemed to disappear off into akaris bedroom to dump his own stuff, so i continued on down the hallway.

finally, akari and i both reached a bedroom at the far end. she creaked open the door, allowing me to see in for myself.

my smile dropped.

my heart sank to the pit of my stomach.

my eyes scanned the bedroom in front of me. it was clear that this room already belonged to someone else. the only other person living in this house was her son, who i had still yet to meet.

the bedroom walls had been painted in a dark blue colour. the floor was a scruffy, grey carpet in which had been scattered with empty cans of energy drinks and empty packets of food.

there was a double bed at the far end, which had obviously not been made for at least a month due to its messy duvet covers which were made of a dark black cotton. a desk, including a pc and gaming chair rested against the wall beside the window.

my hopes had completely vanished. i couldn't get my head around how she'd expect me to fit all of my stuff in here.

i swallowed hard.

"i hope its okay," akari smiled, urging me to take a step inside.

as soon as i did so, my nostrils were completely overtaken with the smell of teenage boy. i grimaced dramatically.

what pondered my thoughts the most, was where the hell i was supposed to sleep.

"where do i sleep?" i turned to face akari.

"for now, you can sleep on here," she walked over towards a small sofa, which had been piled with already worn clothes and a pair of battered converse.

"oh, okay."

"that'll only be for the mean time. once you've settled in, your dad and i will sort something else out. unfortunately, we don't have any other rooms in the house, but we can always buy another bed to put in place of the sofa," she explained.

"sure," i forced a fake smile.

"is there anything else you need? would you like me to leave you alone whilst you unpack?"

"i'll unpack. i'll be down shortly," i told her.

"okay, perfect," she nodded, making her way over towards the door.

before she could shut it behind her, she quickly glanced back over her shoulder.

"oh, by the way, niki is at basketball right now. he usually gets back home around 7 ish, so try to make the most of your privacy until then," she chuckled.

once she'd left the room, i glanced down at my phone. it read 6:25 pm.

"great..." i sighed sarcastically.

bending down, i unzipped my suitcase to take out a few of my belongings.

i had no idea as to where i'd put all of my stuff. i also didn't want to move any of nikis belongings, incase it would annoy him. after standing around in confusion for a good ten minutes, i'd decided to completely abandon unpacking. there was too much going on in my head, it was best to leave it for tonight to let my brain rest.

i sighed, plopping myself down upon the floor in front of the small sofa. i glanced up at his room, taking in more of its details.

i huffed at the fact i wanted pink walls, not blue. i must seem super petty, but, why should i stay in a room with someone i've never met before?