chapter two: first meeting

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

i sat and aimlessly scrolled on my phone for the next twenty minutes. there was nothing to do other than sulk.

i wasn't looking forward to meeting niki. i'm sure he was a nice boy, but the thought of sharing this scruffy room with him was making me feel disgusted.

i only knew a few things about him; he was 17, tall, and played basketball.

just then, something caught my eye from the other side of the bedroom. he had a shelf of basketball trophies and other valued items, one being a small photo frame.

slowly getting to my feet, i made my way over to see it up close.

i picked it up within my hands, peering down at it with curiosity. it was a printed out selfie of a boy and a girl. they both looked similar in age, although the picture was a little blurry.

i'd guessed that the boy was niki, but, i hadn't a clue about the girl. perhaps, it was his girlfriend?

"having fun?" a deep voice suddenly spoke up from behind me.

i practically jumped out of my skin, almost dropping the photo frame. i quickly shoved it back onto the shelf, before turning around to meet whoever it was stood behind me.

i was met with an extremely tall boy, who was stood beside the door with a basketball under his arm.

he must be niki.

his face was a little red and sweaty due to his basketball practise. his long, black hair flopped over the front of his face, almost covering his slender eyes in which penetrated intently through mine.

there was something about the way he looked, which seemed to completely draw me in.

"oh s-sorry, i was just looking around," i stammered a awkwardly at the fact i'd just been caught snooping around.

he stayed silent, watching me carefully as i made my way back over towards what seemed to be my half of the room.

after a short and uncomfortable silence, he shrugged. walking over towards his bed, he dumped his bag and basketball down on top before kicking his trainers off, leaving them in a messy pile in the centre of the room.

"i'm gonna go shower," he spoke up, "don't touch anything else whilst i'm away."

i nodded, glancing up at him as i watched him leave the room.

well, that wasn't exactly the nicest first meeting...

i'd decided to completely leave the room. i made my way down towards the kitchen in which the glorious smell of cooked food was starting to become obvious.

i walked past the bathroom as i did so, overhearing the sound of the shower whilst niki was inside. i knew for a fact that i was going to absolutely hate sharing a bedroom with him.

once i reached the kitchen, i was met with akari and my dad.

"did you finish unpacking?" my dad asked.

"i haven't even started it," i sighed, "my heads all over the place, i'll start it tomorrow."

"well, you're down just in time for dinner," akari smiled, making her way over towards the oven.

"have you met niki, yet?" my dad asked.

"yeah," i shrugged, "he's... nice, i guess."

"i think you two will get along," he said.

i forced a fake smile whilst nodding my head in agreement, although deep down i wanted to bury my face into a pillow and scream.

whilst akari finished preparing the food, i sat myself down opposite my dad at the table. i had guessed that they'd want me to sit beside niki.

a few moments later, footsteps began loudening their way down the staircase. niki must be finished showering.

he strolled into the kitchen, his eyes locking with mine almost instantly. he wore a pair of baggy joggers and a basic tee. his hair was still a little wet from his shower, and it only seemed to enhance his captivating complexion.

"how was basketball?" akari asked, as soon as she'd noticed him wandering in.

"it was okay," he shrugged, "same as usual."

he sat himself down in the chair beside me, giving me a quick glance as he did so. i kept my gaze forward, and so did he.

finally, akari brought over our food. it both looked and smelt amazing. she sat down herself, before the four of us dived in straight away.

the table was awkward as hell. my dad and akari seemed to be having their own conversation, whilst me and niki both sat in an uncomfortable silence as we ate.

once we'd finished, the table was cleared.

"y/n, how do you feel about starting your new school tomorrow?" akari asked me.

shit, i had completely forgotten about that.

"a little nervous," i replied.

"you shouldn't feel nervous," my dad said, "you'll have niki by your side."

"yes, of course. niki will be with you the whole time," akari beamed.

i turned to look at niki, who was currently death glaring his mother from across the table.

"she's not staying with me," niki scrunched up his eyebrows.

"i'm sure y/n can tag along with you and your friends for the day?"

"...fine, whatever," he rolled his eyes.

"niki, don't be rude," akari warned him.

"i'm not being rude, i just think it's unfair. first, she has to share my bedroom, and now she's gonna be glued to my hip at school."

i scoffed at his comment, making him turn his head and glare at me.

"anyway," akari continued, "i have your new uniform in the other room, i'll bring it upstairs later on."

"thank you," i smiled.

later that night, niki finally removed all of his belongings off the small sofa in his bedroom. this gave me enough room to unpack my things, and unravel my own duvet on top of it.

i changed into my pyjamas in the bathroom, before making my way back to the bedroom.

i got cosy beneath the blanket whilst ignoring niki who lay upon his bed in silence, completely glued to his phone.

i switched the lamp off beside me, the room instantly blackening out. the only light visible was coming from nikis phone screen at the other side of the room.

i rolled over onto my side to face the opposite direction, knowing full well that i probably wasn't going to be able to sleep tonight.

niki let out a long sigh from over upon his bed. the sound of him placing his phone down on top of his bedside table was soon heard. he wriggled around a little beneath his duvet, before rolling over to face the wall.

a short while later, the room fell completely silent. considering it was night time, it still felt awkward as hell.

i lay with my eyes wide open, staring at the sofa which was only inches away from my face.

all of a sudden, nikis voice broke the silence, "i'm leaving at 8 tomorrow. so if you want to stay with me at school, don't be late."

"okay," my quiet voice replied.

there was another short and awkward silence.

"um, goodnight," his voice seemed a little hesitant.

"goodnight," i answered.

i swallowed awkwardly, before finally shutting my eyes and allowing myself to doze off.