chapter four: basketball

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

"come on, let's head to class," sunoo tugged on my arm.

he guided me into the building and towards are first lesson; math.

"i suck at math," i frowned.

"you should probably sit beside jake then, he's an expert at math," sunoo told me.

"yeah, follow me," jake grinned, guiding me towards the back of the class.

there were a couple others already sat at their desks, but many seats were still empty. the seat beside jake was also empty, so he acknowledged me to sit down next to him.

"if you get stuck on anything, you can ask me for help," he smiled.

"thank you," i giggled.

turning back to the front, i watched nikis sharp gaze as he glared directly through my skull. he was walking over into our direction, before taking a turn and sitting down at the desk in front of us.

once he'd done so, he swivelled his upper body round to face us.

"why is she sitting next to you?" he asked jake, although his eyes were clearly focused upon only me.

"she struggles with math, so i said i'd help," jake explained.

"whatever," niki rolled his eyes.

i sighed at him, just as jake shot me a confused look.

"he's never usually like this," he laughed, keeping his voice down.

"i think its because of me," i frowned, "he's not used to having a new stepsister."

"i'm sure he'll warm up to you," jake assured me.

"i hope so."

a short while later, the lesson began. our teacher talked us through the questions before giving us some time to work alone.

halfway through the lesson, i began to struggle with some of the harder questions. i blankly stared down at my sheet in front, not having a single clue.

jake must have noticed so, as he spoke up from beside me, "you good?"

"i don't understand this one, it's question 3b," i pointed down at the question in front.

"i can help you with that," jake smiled, shuffling a little closer to look at my sheet.

"well, first of all you need to find the common denominator. once you've got that, you can divide and subtract to get the answ-"

"it's 52," a sudden voice cut off jakes explanation.

my head snapped up to see niki peering over his shoulder at the two of us.

"the answer is 52," he repeated a second time.

"oh, um, thanks," i stared back at him a little awkwardly.

"since when were you so smart at math, huh?" jake chuckled at him.

niki shrugged, turning back around to face the front.

i thought it was a little odd of him to speak up so suddenly. clearly, he was listening in to our conversation.

by the end of the lesson, everyone had packed up their belongings and headed towards next period.

next lesson was p.e, which i dreaded. i wasn't a huge sports fan.

i followed niki and his friends towards the p.e corridor, in which we departed our own ways into the two different changing rooms.