chapter seven: cute

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

that night, i got ready for bed knowing full well it was going to be another terrible sleep. sleeping on the sofa in nikis bedroom was starting to hurt my back.

climbing under the duvet, i overheard niki playing on his switch over upon his bed. as soon as he saw me doing so, he turned the volume down completely to let me sleep without being disturbed.

he stayed on his switch for a short while, whist i wriggled around trying to get comfortable upon the sofa. i hated sleeping on here, i was tempted to sleep on the floor instead.

"stay still, you're putting me off my game," nikis voice spoke up.

"it's not my fault," i scoffed, rolling over to see him laying upon his bed, "i cant get comfortable on this stupid sofa."

"stop complaining," he said.

"you complained first."

"shut up."

"you shut up."

"no, you shut up."

"shut up and climb into bed with me."

"no, you shu- wait what?" my head lifted up off the pillow in shock.

did he just say what i think he said?

"i don't want you being uncomfortable. you can sleep in my bed from now on," he said.

"i don't think that would be appropriate," i told him, "our parents wouldn't allow it."

"who cares what they think," he sighed, "get in before i change my mind."

i got up off the sofa and scurried over towards his bed.

"thank you for this," i said, sliding myself down beneath his duvet cover.

"whatever," he shrugged, rolling over to continue playing with his switch.

after a short while, he put it down.

he lay with his back to me, so i lay with my back to him. it was silence between us. it was an extremely awkward silence, too.

i was only inches away from dozing off, until suddenly the blanket was pulled off from my body and tugged over towards his side.

i sighed, pulling it back. but then, he did the same. we tugged in back and forth in between us, until finally he said something about it.

"it's my duvet, so i can do what i want with it."

turning my head, i was met with the back of his hair.

"but i'll be cold."

"i don't care. be grateful i let you sleep in my bed at all."

"fine," i frowned.

i was cold, but at least i was laying on a bed and not an uncomfortable sofa. we both lay in silence whilst trying to fall asleep. although, i knew for a fine fact that he was thinking the exact same thing as me... how was i supposed to sleep knowing he was only lying a few inches away from me, in the same bed?

it was awkward as hell. thinking about it now, maybe i should have stayed on the sofa.

just then, i remembered about what happened during dinner. thinking about how are legs and feet were tangled up beneath the kitchen table brought a sudden warm chill running right up my spine.

"um, niki?" i whispered.

"mhm?"

"did it, uh, mean anything?" i asked a little shyly.