Fran's first fast

Fran sprays the table and polishes it while humming. Agustin and Felix are doing their usual chores though this time their eldest children are helping including Pepa and Bruno.

Isabela tending to the plants, "I don't understand why we have to clean everything?"

Fran: "Because my parents are coming over to breakfast on Yom Kippur and I want things to look perfect."

Sofia hands Camilo a feather duster. "Here you go."

"Thanks," He starts dusting, "But why are they coming here we're not Jewish. Are we?" he asks his parents.

"No, but we are a family and your abuela is not one to object to a clean house," replied his father, "We're almost done anyway."

"Tía Fran," Mirabel tugs on her skirt, "Yes Mira-boo."

"Sofie said that during Yom Kippur you fast." Fran nodded, "What's fasting?" the youngest Madrigal asked.

"It means you can't eat or drink for a certain amount of time," Sofia replied to her curious cousin.

"Oh, for how long?"

"From sundown to sunset," Fran starts wiping the self. "It's no food, drink, baths, anointing the body with oil, wearing leather shoes, or... " sees the children's gazes. "Mushy couple stuff for 25 hours."

"I don't I can go that long without food," Camilo raises his hand, "Dibs on no bathing!"

"Camilo, you are not getting out of taking baths," Pepa told him.

"Okay. But what about tío Bruno?" Pepa turns to her estranged brother also curious if he has to participate.

"It's optional but I have been," Bruno answered, "and after all the mistakes I made I can use some forgiveness."

"I don't think Mama would approve," Julieta notes.

"I definitely wouldn't," Alma appeared and the children greeted her as she walked by them to Fran. "What's this about starving my son?"

"You need to see someone about your hearing," Fran remarked to the strict matriarch, "Nobody is starving anyone, I was just explaining the rules of Yom Kippur."

"Tía and Tío haven't been eating, drinking, and bathing since Yom Kippur," Luisa says as she moves the chairs.

"What for?"

"To atone for their sins this past year," Dolores squeaked.

Fran nervously smiles, "Thanks, kids I'll take it from here."

One mini explanation later. "I see, so Sofia and Manuel won't be fasting till they're thirteen," Alma repeated confirmly.

"And even then we'd have to confirm with a doctor if it's safe for them," Fran added.

"But I can practice by not bathing, wearing leather shoes, the oil thing, and the mushy stuff." Sofia gags.

Fran: "The not bathing is highly debatable and non-negotiable if you're dirty you wash."

"Fran, what was your first time fasting like?" Luisa asked. "Well, sweetie the first time I did fast was when I was eleven."

"But you said-" Alma points to her.

"I know but at the time I was trying to prove my sister wrong," Fran says remorsefully.

"I sense a story," Sofia says to Mirabel.

"Gather round everyone this is..." Turns to the kids, "You all did your homework right?" they nodded yes. "Good. Now this was back at San Fransokyo...

-Transition-