Chapter 4.)

"Good morning Sophie!" Sadie greeted once I went downstairs to breakfast. "Mornin'." I replied as I stole a bite out of Carter's bagel.

"Get your own food Soph." He whined as he shielded his plate from me. "I can't resist annoying you first thing in the morning," I said as I took some food from their buffet. "Your annoyed reaction makes my day." I sat down next to Walt and Sadie.

It had been two and a half weeks since I had been at Brooklyn house and everyone was improving greatly at their battle skills. Zia had seemed to lighten up a bit and didn't seem to hate me as much.

"Hilarious." Carter said sarcastically with a mouthful of bacon. "Shut your mouth Carter." Zia chuckled as she wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"Don't baby him more it might cause him to get lazy." Jazz teased. "Wow guys thanks you really make my mornings amazing." Carter rolled his eyes.

We all burst into laughter and finished up breakfast. As I was drinking the last of my orange juice, I heard a high pitched voice call my name. "Sophie!!!" Shelby called as she ran towards me. I set my glass down and picked her up, setting her on my hip.

"Well good morning kiddo." I said as she giggled. "Sophie! Did you know that I learned to make a sword out of my marker?!" She exclaimed. I suddenly felt a bit alarmed and worried since she might have markers in her back pocket.

"That's great Shel, you ready to go hang out with Jazz in the potion room?" I asked as I put her back down. "Yeah c'mon Shelby lets go." Jazz called. "But Sophie I want to train with you." She pouted.

I chuckled and pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I promise that after the war, and when you're older, I'll train you. Run along now." I said as I turned her in Jazz's direction. Jazz smiled and silently thanked me and I nodded in response.

"She seems to like you a lot." Carter said once I caught up to him. "She reminds me of my younger self. She's innocent but also has a perfectly good idea about the danger she's in." I explained as I stuffed my hands in my pockets.

"Did you know about your power when we we're little and would hang out together and stuff?" He asked. I shrugged. "I guess so. I mean I can't really remember that far back but I'm pretty sure I did."

He nodded. Over the week Carter's skill had been improving a lot. He was learning how to focus and think more like a Greek.

When we got to the training room, me and Carter presented the lesson just like we had been for the past week. Once he did that, the kids began to practice and we would make corrections as needed. There were also some other kids that weren't much of fighters, but excellent in our healing source, and kids who were given powers of the elements like me.

After a few hours of training, we all took a break and decided to hang by the pool. "Sophie! Do you know how to speak penguin?" Felix asked me as I sat on one of the lounge chairs. "Um I've encountered puffins, but not many penguins. I can understand most sea creature dialogue but animals who live by the water more than in the water are harder to understand because of their accents." I explained.

"They have ACCENTS?!" Felix gasped. I chuckled and nodded. "I once met a penguin with an Italian accent it was great." I told him.

"If I ever get a penguin will you teach me how to speak like them?!" He begged. "Uh, maybe. No promises." I assured him.

He fist bumped the air and then ran off to the other kids In the pool. "The kids are really warming up to you." A voice said from behind me. I turned and saw Kaia in shorts and her bikini top, her auburn hair tied in a messy bun.

"I guess. It's only been 2 weeks and I'll be out of your life soon enough." I replied.

Kaia rolled her eyes and took a seat in the lounge chair next to me. "Look, I know we haven't gotten off on a good start and I've been a pain, I know. But, I am willing to admit that I was wrong to underestimate you... And I'm really sorry." She said shyly.

I stared at her wit a blank look. "Wait a second, your apologizing?" Kaia rolled her eyes again. "Stop trying to ruin my speech here." She whined. I burst into laughter and sighed. "I accept your apology. You're a great fighter Kaia and I didn't want to see you hate me my whole time here."

Kaia blinked in shock. "D-do you really mean that?" I nodded. "Why wouldn't I?" I asked. "Well I mean you're such a great fighter and I didn't think you wanted to have anything to do with me anyway." She admitted. I gave her a small smile. "Truce?" I asked as I held my hand out. "Truce." She agreed as we shook.

____________

I flipped through some different books I found in the library once Zia and Sadie had taken over on their spell lessons. The Kane's library was amazing, with at least 100,000 different books in it. If I could, I would spend all my time in there.

As I was in the middle of an encyclopedia, the door opened, revealing an exhausted looking Carter. He collapsed on the chair across from mine and groaned. I chuckled and flipped to the next page. "Tough group?" I asked.

"Awful. How do you deal with it?" He asked. I shrugged and closed the encyclopedia. "I don't know I just do. I've learned over the years you don't always have to yell at people. Sometimes you can just guilt them into doing what you want."

"That seems cruel in a non cruel way." Carter said as he sat up. "Which is why it works so well." I said with a smile. He chuckled lightly. "So when is this whole war thing?"

"We have to be ready by the end of July. Gaea plans to rise on August 1st. Why, are you excited to fight?" I teased. "More like nervous. I mean, what if we're not ready? I don't...I don't want to let you down." He admitted. I stared at him and gave him a genuine smile. "Carter, I've been here for almost three weeks. You and all of Brooklyn house have learned so fast, it's pretty crazy. You'll be ready. We'll be ready." I told him firmly.

He smiled, admiration sparkling in his dark eyes. "You think so?"

I closed the encyclopedia and rested my chin in my hand. "I know so."

__________

OMG guys I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so long! School was so busy the past couple of months I'm surprised I didn't collapse of the stress. I finished on Friday so expect updates to be a little more frequent.

Be sure to vote and comment. I love hearing what you guys think!

-Grace:)