Chapter 8.)

Sophie's POV

I woke up the next morning to someone jumping on my bed. "Sophie Sophie Sophie wake up! You've been sleeping for too long and I miss you!" Shelby exclaimed as she monkeyed around.

I groaned and put my head under the pillow. "Five more minutes Shel."

"Shelby! I told you not to go bother Sophie so she could rest a little bit more." Sadie hissed as she ran inside.

"Nah." I yawned. "It was about time I woke up anyway."

"You sure? You passed out cold yesterday after giving us that head start." She asked as she picked Shelby up. I nodded and sat up, running my fingers through my unruly hair. "I'll be out in a sec." Sadie left and I rubbed my eyes.

Once my eyes had adjusted to the sunlight I got out of bed and jumped in the shower. I changed into a white tank top with jean capris with a brown woven belt. Once I had pulled my hair into its usual ponytail, I climbed upstairs and onto deck where most of the kids were training.

"And she lives!" Walt said teasingly. I laughed softly. "Yeah about time I woke up. How much longer do we have until we get there?" I asked.

"We'll get there around 8 tomorrow morning. From there we just hide from monsters and prepare." He explained. "Good. Where's Carter?" I asked.

"Last time I checked below deck in his room reading some book." He shrugged.

"Thanks Walt." I told him as I walked back downstairs. He gave me a thumbs up and I made my way to Carter's room. Walking down to his room reminded me of the day I went to the control room to see Leo the day we got to New Rome.

I knocked on the door and waited for him to open. "Who is it?" He called.

"Carter it's me." I replied.

A few seconds later, the door opened. "Hey. C'mon in." Carter said as he made way for me. I smiled and walked in.

"Wow. That's a whole lot of books." I chuckled as I looked at the library in his room.

He chuckled nervously and scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah I usually read a lot when I'm nervous. It calms me." He admitted.

"Nervous?" I asked. "Of what?"

He sighed. "Promise not to make fun of me?"

"Carter when have I ever made fun of you?" I re-thought my words. "Actually never mind. I promise I won't make fun of you this time." I said teasingly.

He rolled his yes but couldn't suppress a smile.

"When I fought you for the first time, I realized how powerful you Greeks and Romans actually were. I've read stories, but never gave enough credit to you guys. I guess I'm just nervous that I'll let you down." He explained slowly.

I stopped browsing his books and turned to face him. "Carter," I started. "You don't give yourself enough credit. You're such an amazing fighter, both Greek and Egyptian. And I know for a fact, you've never let me down, and you never will. You're just not one to let people down." I tell him.

We stay silent for a few more seconds before a book on the window catches my eye. "I loved this book." I chuckled as I picked it up.

"The Secret Garden?" He asked.

I nodded. "I read all the Frances Hodgson Burnet books. This one was my all time favorite."

"Wow." He chuckled.

"I thought you knew I loved reading?" I asked.

"No not that it's just that this is my favorite book too. I was always a big fan of the classic authors." He admitted.