Chapter 3: Rumor Has It

Minji's Pov

I held Tris in my arms as she fell asleep, like I did every night. This had become our routine for the past three years. She'd cradle her body into the crook of my arm, head cradled on my chest as I wrapped myself around her, securing her fragile body to mine. I'd rub the top of her head softly as her eyes finally closed, putting her in a sweet, blissful dream—unlike her reality.

I lived for her—night and day—I would've breathed for her too, if I could've. But the truth of the matter was—I couldn't. I had to watch the life being sucked out of her daily, yet she smiled through it all. She'd be damned if she let her oxygen line keep her from smiling the biggest, warmest smile she could give.

That's what I loved most about her. No matter how much pain she was in, she always smiled. Always.

It had been a long day; her stats were getting worse. Her face was pale and you could see the exhaustion in her every move. She had dark circles under her eyes, but she never complained. She was a fighter.

"You need to sleep," I said, rubbing the top of head gently, where she used to have long, thick brown hair.

"I'm fine," she insisted. "I like having you here."

"I know." I smiled genuinely back at her.

"Do you have to work tomorrow?"

She looked up at me with a hopeful expression in her eyes, knowing the answer was always yes.

"Yes, but you know I'll be here before you go to bed."

"Okay," she said, defeated.

"Close your eyes," I demanded.

"Fine." She sighed.

I looked down and saw her lips form into a grin. Her eyes were closed, but she was fighting the sleep. She wanted to soak up as much time with me as she could before the fatigue and medication took over.

I rubbed her forehead slowly, her slight frame pressed tight against me. "Keep smiling, Tris," I whispered. It was something I said to her every night as her body relaxed into mine, finally surrendering to the exhaustion.

I loved Tris smile, so warm and tender. So innocent. As long as she was smiling, she was breathing.

I roll up the sleeves of my blue, button-up shirt as I stand in front of the full-length mirror. I leave a couple of buttons undone, keeping a more casual look. Most days I'm stuck wearing suits, so it's a nice change from my business attire.

I grab the bags off my bed before heading down the stairs and placing them next to the banister. I packed more than enough, but the weeklong stay at Lucas's house is something I desperately need. Everything in my town still reminds me of her. Tris. And although it's been months, time hasn't healed shit. It still hurts just as much as it did the day she stopped smiling. Her spirit left her body that day, abandoning me to my grief.

I shove my cell and keys into my pocket before grabbing my luggage and heading out the door. Lucas's house is only a forty-minute drive, but it doesn't matter how far away it is because it won't make the pain diminish. The memories haven't faded. The way she clung to me like a security blanket is fresh in my mind. I could be a thousand miles away from Boston, and it would still feel like she was everywhere.

I haven't seen Lucas in months, mainly due to the fact that I hadn't wanted to be around anyone and he was busy planning his wedding and remodeling their new home. He's the kind of friend you stay in contact with long after college is done, so I'm at least excited about seeing him again.