Chapter 12: Love in the Dark

Minji's

After an incredible day with Hanni yesterday, I don't want to let her go. We sat on the blanket overlooking the water until we heard Danielle and Lucas pull up. Hanni convinced Danielle that she'd been feeling better and went into town with me for some lunch before coming outside to enjoy the beautiful fall day. She seemed to buy it because she smiled and walked back into the house.

"I should go help her. I'm sure she has a million things on her to-do list still," Hanni said with a fake smile. I could tell she was just as disappointed as I was to have to leave our little happy place.

"Yeah, sure. I'll clean up out here." I waved her off, not wanting her to see how sad I was to see her leave. I'd wanted to kiss her again, but a part of me stopped myself. I knew if I felt her lips against mine again, I wouldn't stop at just a kiss, and knowing we were from completely different worlds, it would only make it harder to say goodbye to her in a few days.

I stayed up in my room instead of eating dinner with them. After taking a much-needed cold shower, I sit on the bed, leaning up against the headboard and scroll through pictures of Tris on my phone.

"I really need to get these printed," I remind myself. Perhaps I did need a list.

Tris deserved a photo album. She deserved life, but since that was out of my control, I can at least print out the memories we shared together.

As I scroll through the numerous hundreds of photos, I come across one of the two of us at the zoo. It was right before we heard about her diagnosis and life was complete.

"Let's go find the Zebras!" She loved the Zebras. I can still hear her tiny voice in my head. She was filled with so much energy and love.

I let her drag me around all day from exhibit to exhibit. I remember being so pissed at my dad that day. He promised he'd meet us there that day, but something at work came up—as usual—and he stood her up. I hated him for that. She was only eight and she already experienced heartbreak after heartbreak of never being enough for him. He'd have excuse after excuse, but she didn't deserve that.

Even during her last few months, he'd stand her up. He had to work late or traffic set him back three hours. By the time he'd arrived, the drugs made her pass out for the night.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why can't you just ever put her first?" I'd scream at him. He'd just stare back at me, no emotion in his features.

"I have a company to run, Minji. She knows that. She understands." His voice was so empty.

"She understands?" I challenged. "She's eleven! How in the world can she understand something like that when she's fighting for her life?"

"She understands I need to work to pay for her care."

I shook my head in disbelief, wanting to put my fist right through his smug face. "You're a millionaire," I reminded him. "You could take the time off if you wanted to."

"It doesn't work like that, girl. One day, you'll see that. One day, you'll understand firsthand." He was implying that I'd takeover once he retired.

"God, I hope not," I mumbled, walking away from him. I would never be the cold-hearted man that he was. I'd make sure of that.

As I stare at her bright smile, I cringe as I remember my father in those days. He hasn't changed a bit since burying his daughter. Tris came from wife number three and three years after that, they divorced and he paid her off to stay away for good. She wasn't the best at being a mom, but at least she was around when she was here. My father's made an infinite amount of mistakes and yet, he never learns.