Chapter 9: Right as Rain

Hanni

We make it back into the house just as Elle and Lucas return from the airport. They picked up one of Elle's bridesmaids and her fiancé and dropped them off at a nearby hotel. Apparently, they wanted some 'couple' time alone instead of staying in the house, which I actually don't mind at all since it'll give me more time alone with Minji.

Elle is extra cheerful as she begins rummaging through the fridge. She's always a peppy person, but today she was covered in sunshine and rainbows.

"Why are you so happy?" I ask, leaning up against the kitchen counter with my arms crossed.

"I'm getting married in three days. What's not to be happy about?" I notice the smirk on her face although she's not completely facing me.

"Wait…what time did your friend's flight get in?"

"Around eight-thirty." She slams the fridge door shut, her hands filled with sandwich meat and lettuce.

I start mentally counting in my head and realize they should've been home at least an hour ago.

"Where did you guys park?" I ask smugly, unable to contain the amusement in my voice.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She grabs a loaf of bread and proceeds to start making a sandwich.

"Danielle Marsh, Goody Two-Shoes of the century, I know when you're lying, especially about off-road sex."

She chokes on a gasp. "You're so crass, Han."

I laugh, getting a kick out of her blushing. "I'm not a virgin, Elle. It's okay to tell me you guys had sex in a car parked on the side of the road."

"It wasn't on the side of the road." She defends, then laughs at herself. I end up laughing with her, loving this side of her. "You only live once, right?" She grins, continuing to make her sandwich without making any eye contact but her message hits me hard.

You only live once.

We spend the evening huddled inside, in front of the fireplace. It's storming outside and we had planned on grilling but instead ended up ordering in because unless it's something simple like a sandwich or a can of soup, Elle's pretty useless in the kitchen.

Minji and I sit across from each other at the table again with Elle and Lucas. We pick at the containers of Chinese food, each grabbing for the last egg roll. I grip my fingers around my end, hoping she'll be a gentlewoman and let me have it.

No such luck.

"Let go," I demand. "I grabbed it first."

"If you grabbed it first, I wouldn't have the other half in my hand."

I roll my eyes. "You're a child, I swear."

She shrugs unapologetically. "When it comes to food, I don't mess around."

I move my gaze over to Elle, who's biting her lip. Ever since this morning, Minji's turned a complete one-eighty on me. Now she's the one giving me whiplash.

"Just split the egg roll in half," Lucas suggests.

I raise my brows at Minji, daring her to deny me. But she doesn't give anything away in her expression. Now it's a game—who's going to give in and who's going to stand their ground?

"It's a damn egg roll," Elle hisses, getting annoyed with our pathetic game.

"But it's the best egg roll I've ever had," I whine. Minji's eyes are trained on mine and her stance isn't giving anything away. "Fine, take it." I release my fingers, looking back at the food left on my plate, but then say fuck it to myself. I lean over the table, snatch the damn thing from her hand and shove the whole thing in my mouth before she even has time to react.