Chapter 11: Love Song

Minji

I know my time with Hanni is going to end in a few days, and I can't help but want to spend it all with her, even if she is playing this hot and cold dance with me.

I need to be alone with her.

I need to break her hard exterior, even if it breaks everything in me to try.

Even though I came here for a mini-break and to help Lucas with wedding stuff, I want Hanni to myself, even just for a few hours.

I knock on her door through the bathroom and wait anxiously as she either accepts my plan or rejects it all together. I hear her stumble out of bed and the padding of her feet as she walks to the bathroom door on her side.

"Yes?" She looks at me as if she's already bored with this conversation, her arms crossed against her chest. "Can I help you?"

My lips turn up into a huge grin and before I can say anything, she speaks again.

"Scratch that." She shakes her head. "You'll take that literally."

I smile. "You're figuring me all out, aren't you, Hanni?"

"Unfortunately. Sharing a bathroom surely hasn't helped."

"Well, lucky for you, I have a proposition for you."

She eyes me curiously, her body finally relaxing. "What is it?"

"Tell Danielle you can't go with her today and spend the day with me." My voice is steady, hoping she hears the sincerity in my tone.

"And why would I want to do that?"

"Because you still have numbers to cross off on your list. And you secretly like spending time with me," I say with certainty, leaning against the doorframe.

She narrows her brows, her arms falling down to her sides. "Oh, look. There goes your ego."

I cock my head and furrow my brows at her. "Are you telling me you'd rather go shopping with Danielle for honeymoon supplies? I'm guessing body wax for her, speedo for him, sex toys for…" I ramble on before she cuts me off in a frantic.

"Okay, okay! Fine. But no more speedos talk. I'll never get that image out of my head now."

"Good." I smile in victory. "Meet you back up here in ten minutes."

She shuts the door in my face, a smug smile stretched on my face. I walk downstairs first, with Hanni just a few steps behind me. I'm not sure what kind of excuse she's going to come up with, but I'm eager to find out.

"Good morning," Danielle says the moment she sees the both of us. "Coffee?"

"Morning. Yes, that'd be great," I say automatically, grabbing a cup and walking toward the coffee maker.

"None for me," Hanni says, sounding weak. "I don't think I can go with you today."

I try to focus on pouring the coffee and staying out of their conversation, but the curious side of me wants to watch her reaction and if Danielle will buy it or not.

"Oh, no!" Danielle walks toward her. "What's wrong? Are you sick?"

"Just dealing with cramps and bloating, you know…" she lingers, not wanting to say anymore with Lucas and I in the room.

"Girl stuff," I blurt out. "The monthly excuse for hating men." They both turn toward me, their firm expressions letting me know that was not the right thing to say. "What? I was trying to be sympathetic." I shrug.

Danielle sighs and rolls her eyes. "Men don't know a damn thing about our bodies or being sympathetic."

"I know plenty, thank you very much," I say confidently. "You go do your shopping and I'll make sure Hanni has plenty of chocolate, ice cream, and Netflix to watch."