Chapter 14: All I Ask

Minji

The day of the wedding is so completely hectic that I don't even see Hanni until she's lining up behind me with Mark. She doesn't even glance at me, and I wonder if I've pissed her off or something. She's barely spoken to me in two days.

I want to spend the night with her, even if that's all I'll ever get with her, but something's changed since that day we spent together. She's scared, and I can't say I don't blame her. I felt it, too. Getting close, feeling vulnerable. She doesn't want to open up to someone that'll just be leaving afterward.

After the ceremony, a hundred or two of pictures, and heading to the reception in the party bus, I'm determined to get her alone, even if just for a minute. She's clung to Danielle most of the day, so getting any time with her hasn't been easy. The other girls in the party have been obvious in giving me their attention, and I wonder if that's what's been bothering her.

I don't plan to go home with any of those girls tonight, or ever. My only plan tonight is spending it with Hanni and if it's the last thing I do, I will kiss her lips again.

Once the party bus arrives to the venue, we have a few minutes outside before going in, and I take the opportunity to find her.

I grab her arm and pull her back to me, the warmth of her body pressed against mine is immediate. "Hey," I say with a smile, relieved to finally get her attention.

"What do you want?" she asks, pushing away so bodies part.

I furrow my brows, confused by her harsh tone. "I haven't been able to talk to you all day or yesterday." She keeps her hard stare, looking unimpressed by my presence. "I've missed you. I want to dance with you later." I take a step closer, and when she doesn't step back, I take another.

"I don't think so." Her voice is sharp and final. The rest of the wedding party starts walking in and she follows without another word.

Well, that didn't go as I anticipated.

I have no idea why she's pissed or what I did to make her upset, but I'm not about to let her walk away from the week we've shared.

The reception is packed, filled with high energy. Lucas had a lot of college and work friends, multiplied by all their families and extended family members. Hanni sits next to Danielle at the head table, putting her too far away from me to grab her attention. I decide to watch for an opening when she stands up, but then I realize she's holding a microphone for her maid of honor speech.

I watch, mesmerized, her face completely lit up as she talks about Danielle and how they grew up together. She talks about how Danielle talked about Lucas from day one and that if anyone deserved eternal happiness, it was them. I see the sincerity in her face and for a split moment, I want to stand up and scream at her—scream at her for pushing me away before I even got close, scream that I'm right here, wanting her.

But I keep my cool and when she excuses herself from the table to use the restroom, I take the opportunity to follow her. She turns the corner into a quiet hallway and when I'm sure no one else is around, I catch up to her and pin her against the wall.

"What the hell, Minji?" she snaps. "Let me go."

"No," I say firmly. "Not until you tell me what you're so pissed about."

"Oh, like you don't know," she fires at me. "We're not doing this. Not here."

"Oh, we are," I retort. "So just tell me what your problem is."

"Fine! You wanna know?" she hisses. I nod, loosening my grip around her. "I heard you last night, okay? I was in the bathtub and when you came into your room with your little visitor, I heard. And well, it pissed me off. I don't know why, but I couldn't stand the thought of you being with someone, fucking someone, so I thought it was best to just keep my distance."