Chapter 17: Best for Last

Hanni

Days turned into weeks and within those weeks, I never felt more alive. I packed up my tiny apartment and moved with Minji. I made sure to take care of all my after-life arrangements before I left. She took a leave of absence from her job, although I told her not to, but of course, she didn't listen. However, being with Minji has given my life a whole new meaning.

I loved her. It happened almost immediately and without warning. I came that week with the intention to live my life as carefree and spontaneous as possible, which lead to the very last thing I thought I'd ever say—I wanted to marry her.

"So, do you think you accomplished everything on your bucket list yet?" she asks one morning as I sit at the breakfast bar with my licorice whip in my can of Dr. Pepper. The first time she saw me do that, she laughed so hard, she nearly peed herself. It was those small moments of finding new things out about each other that's been the best part of being here with her every day.

"Not quite. Almost though," I reply as I watch her work in the kitchen.

"What are we missing?" The look on her face is filled with concern, and I know I have to tell her.

"I actually added a new one."

"Okay, what is it?"

Butterflies invade my stomach as goose bumps covered my skin. We've never talked about this before, so I'm not sure how she's going to react, but the last thing I have time for is being hesitant. It's now or never.

"To become your wife," I said with certainty.

Her hard stare becomes intense, and I worry I've crossed some imaginary line. Finally, she blinks and says, "Right now."

"What?"

"I want to marry you, Hanni." Her eyes are so genuine; I can barely breathe while staring into them.

"You do?" I swallow.

"Of course. I was afraid to mention it. I thought maybe you'd think I was crazy or something."

"Well…" I tease.

She comes closer, cupping my face in her hands as she looks into my eyes. "Will you marry me, Hanni?"

Her voice is so sweet and her touch is so tender. I would never deny this woman anything, ever.

"Of course I will." She presses our lips together and forty-eight hours later, we're on a plane to Vegas.

Some might say we're rushing it. We're making quick decisions based off what's to happen. Will a piece of paper really change our reality? No. But marrying her will at least make all of this worth it. Knowing we made promises to each other, no matter how much time is left, makes every moment with her worth it.

Falling in love with her was the last thing I set out to do, but I wouldn't change it for anything. Fate included her in the plan all along.

Instead of making a new list, I edited the old one.

Bucket List #1: Don't fall in love. Fall hopelessly in love.

And added one more.

Bucket List #25: Give one reason as to how being a ruthless girlfriend paid off.

Meeting Minji.

Minji's

Thirteen months ago, the world gained an angel and I lost the only person in my life that I loved. She was eleven and smart as a whip. She'd been battling Leukemia for two years and finally one day, she was done fighting. Her body shut down, and I held her as I whispered in her ear, "It's okay, Tris. You can stop smiling now."