13: Quick Wits and Blatant Lies

KarinaTownhouse | A Day After

Karina
Townhouse | A Day After

Through some sleuthing, we uncovered a crucial piece of information - the person we confronted at the mansion last night was the infamous Autumn, someone who possibly might have close ties to Wyatt. I had seen that name pop up on her laptop when we had breakfast. The puzzle pieces were falling into place when Irene interrupted our momentum.

Summoning us into her room, Irene presented us with a sudden mission, along with the idea of "separating us" for the night. "Agent Yu, stay here in the hotel. Agent Yizhuo, proceed to a townhouse in the center of Seoul. I'll send you the address. Leave now."

Her rationale was to prevent any unauthorized planning. She didn't want us tinkering on the Black Mamba stuff anymore. Ning and I reluctantly agreed, deciding to pick up our conversation the following morning. Exhaustion was the only thing keeping us in check; otherwise, we'd be up all night, hatching more of our unsanctioned schemes.

I left the hotel immediately and headed for Ning's location the following day. I had barely settled into the townhouse for an early morning briefing when Irene made a brisk announcement - we were departing for Spain as soon as possible.

"I've hardly had time to catch my breath," I pouted, snatching a crispy bacon strip from Ning's plate.

Irene emphasized a strict one-week timeline for the mission, reiterating her expectations. "No funny business. You've got seven days to wrap this up. Get back here in a week. Your plane is ready. Get your shit together and out of my sight."

Ning and I exchanged a knowing look before rising from our seats."Not even a quick breakfast for me?" I asked.

"Eat on the plane," Irene responded curtly.

An unsettling sensation gripped my stomach, a gnawing emptiness that seemed to consume me slowly.

Why was Wyatt so fiercely protective of me? I felt an inexplicable sense of security with her - not that I needed it but being physically vulnerable with a lot of trust issues somehow altered my brain chemistry. 

I wanted to confirm if she survived last night. I couldn't quite put my finger on why, but I just had to know. 

A part of me couldn't help but resent Ning for shooting her.

I unlocked my phone and headed straight to Wyatt's messages when I noticed those dancing dots.