Chapter Fifteen: Jacin

Jacin was used to how annoying Thorne was. Thorne had arguments with him, with Scarlet, with everyone. Jacin supposed he shouldn't have been surprised that Winter was just the next person on that list.

"I'm telling you, it's not safe, here sweetie," Thorne took the tracking pad out of Cress's hands and put it up to Winter's face. "There are riots everywhere, we can't land near the palace."

"And I'm telling you, we are much more likely to be ransacked by an unseen rebel group if we have to land far from the palace and sneak in. We are going straight there and through the crowd." WInter argued in return.

Thorne sighed, "I know you wanted Luna to be happy that Levana was gone, and most of Luna is, but whenever there is a war, one side is going to be left unhappy. I know you want to think it will be safe and fine heading to the palace. You want to think that Luna will be happy you're back and let you pass through, but that isn't the case."

Cress nearly silently whispered, "Many Lunars lost family in the war, that's not your fault, but many Lunars see it that way."

Winter looked up, and Jacin could see she was crying, "Wasn't my fault? Wasn't my fault! I know it wasn't my fault, it was Levana's! But people still want her back in power, people still want the woman who only leaves scars!"

At that moment, WInter pointed to the three scars that landed across her face. Jacin thought that they only made her more beautiful, but the rest of Luna didn't see it that way. Lunars were arrogant and horrible creatures and because Winter refused to use her gift, they saw her as an outcast. Because WInter had helped start the war of Levana, people blamed her for the casualties it had the plague had returned to Luna, one Winter had seized the throne, the epidemic was put solely on Winter's head. People hailed Cinder as a hero, but disregarded WInter as a coward, a person who cause them so much pain. Not all Lunars felt this way of course, many were ecstatic to be out of Levana's harsh rule, but there were some who weren't finished with the war. There were still rebels. It was then that Jacin realized Winter wasn't in denial about whether there were Lunar rebels, she was counting on it. She wanted to face them.

If there was one thing Jacin understood it was facing his enemies. If Winter needed to see what the rebellion was like to move past it, he would support her one hundred percent. She would need to rule one day, and this might be just what she needed. He spoke up,"I think we shouldn't take the secret route. Let's go right to the palace."

Thorne laughed, "Okay Jarvis, I know you want to get some tonight but-"

"Thorne!" Cress playfully hit him, her cheeks red with embarrassment.

"What, it was a joke," he smirked putting his nose up to hers. Her blush grew bigger as she turned away, a huge smile covering her face.

"Well," Jacin avoided looking at the two lovebirds and focused on Winter, "I hate to leave you alone with those two, but the ship can't stay on autopilot forever."

Jacin felt a kiss on his cheek before striding back to the captain's chair. Technically Thorne should have been piloting, but Cress had asked to see him, and they had gone to do things he did not wish to think about.

When he sat down he turned the ship off from autopilot and started to steer. THey had crossed Luna's atmosphere and were flying through the sky. He admired the white countryside, and saw down to a glowing moon rock farm. He noticed a series of graffiti on the walls that shouted, "TRAITOR!"

He didn't know if that meant the farmer supported Levana or Winter. Their country was so divided he didn't even know who was on what side.

Jacin passed a massive city that was close to his small hometown. Lumiere was a city of light, glowing skyscrapers reached the ships leveled,as Lunars of all shapes and sizes scrambled around, trying to get work done. At least some people weren't rioting and trying to help the economy.

He looked down at the spot Thorne had suggested they stop, a small opening in the Mesic Forest, where they would enter a secret route to the palace and have an advisor glamour them and get them through the rioting crowd outside the palace. He considered heading down for a moment, but he remembered the look in Winter's eyes. She needed to go into the rioting crowd, for her own sake.

Jacin saw the palace of Luna from hundreds of miles away. It was impossible not to, it could be seen from Earth in some places. And stars above, it was gorgeous. The towers spiraled out into the main center where artisans and courtiers would perform and farmers markets would sell all sort of crops ranging from standard Lunar foods to rare delicacies of Earth. He remembered it fondly.

The closer he got however, the more he realized this was not the Luna he remembered. The bottoms of towers were covered in graffiti, the Lunar guard was hysterically outnumbered, bodies lay on the floor and he wasn't sure if they were dead or simply unconscious.

Winter, Cress, and Thorne appeared by the captain's chair, and Thorne murmured something along the line of an I told you so. They stared in shock at what the once marvelous city had become. Winter looked nervous now, and slid her eyes to Jacin. He tried to give her a reassuring look, but that only seemed to make her more sad.

"It looks really dangerous out there," Cress broke the silence.

"I'll go out first," Jacin mumbled and lent Thorne the control. He headed to the door as they landed, Winter standing close behind him. Once they were on the ground, he slid open the door.

He heard Winter gasp as he felt the impression of a gun poking into his skull.

__________________________________________________________________

I've written a layout, and it looks like this story will be fifty chapters (including "parts" making this chapter seventeen). I've also started posting this on AO3 and Fanfiction under the same username. I would really appreciate if you would look at those! THis is probably the worst chapter I've written, so please comment and tell me how I can improve. Thanks! :)