Chapter Thirteen: Winter

There was a quiet truth in dying, Winter thought to herself, a gentle silence that signified the end. The end of life and the end of emotion. Winter didn’t know if having thought like this was a sign she was becoming less crazy, or more crazy than ever. 

After giving her stepmother the punishment of torture instead of death, she had regretted her decision. She had thought that maybe she could get her stepmom out of torture given enough time, but after she had voted she had realized how foolish that was. No one would ever let Levana out of torture.

Maybe she wasn’t crazy as much as she was hopeful. 

And the worst thing of all, Winter realized, was that when the did find Levana, they would have to kill her.

Jacin had told Winter to meet them in his room, and when she entered she was greeted with a kiss. Their lips parted and Jacin whispered, “Don’t worry. I can see in your eyes you are scared, but we will find Levana.”

Winter sighed, “That’s what I’m scared of. it won’t be long before the security block is removed from Levana, and then she can control us permanently.”

Winter felt a buzz in her lap, and stared down at a message from Cinder. MEET ME IN THE DINING HALL!!!

“I have to go,” Winter whispered, and rushed off to the dining hall, where Cinder sounded urgent.

_____________________________________________

Winter entered to a knife at her neck. A man was holding it just under her chin. he smiled, “Levana’s very interested in you.”

Winter tried her best to use her gift. “P-put the knife down. Now!”

The man laughed. “Security block, darling. Now here’s the deal. Levana can kill your friends. Not all, but she can most certainly kill Kai. And that red-head of yours. The captain? The guard?”

Winter flinched at the mention of Jacin.

“It would be good to have an... inside spy.” He gestured to her.

She gasped, “You don’t mean me!”

The spy smiled. “Help Levana, your friends live. To prove your loyalty we need something. Sabotage the flight to Luna.”

“How do you know I’m going to Luna?”

The man smiled wider. “Perhaps you aren’t the only spy among you.”

The man left with a bang. Cress and Thorne rushed into the room. Thorne ran over. “Winter what’s wrong? What happened?

“There was a bang,” Cress said carefully.

“Nothing.” Winter said, and gave her best smile. ‘I just fell.”

Cress and Thorne looked at each other, clearly not buying it, but nodded anyway, and left Winter to herself.

 Attention! I have a special announcment! I have been working on a bonus novella in this world! If I get 50 likes I will post chapter 1. At 100, I will post Chapter 2, and at 150 I willpost three, and so on and so forth. Thank you!