Chapter Four: Wolf

Wolf was worried about Scarlet. Just a few minutes ago everything was fine. Wolf, Scarlet, Cress, and Thorne were still in the dining room. Even though they weren’t eating they were sitting there talking about what they would do with their lives now. They all knew that the upcoming voyage to Luna would be hard, but after that they had no idea what they would be doing. Wolf, of course, was ready to go back to the farm with Scarlet and have at least a little time without constantly fighting Lunar soldiers.

But he wasn’t sure he was done fighting completely. After all, the idea of war and violence was in his blood, and if money became an issue, he knew no one could beat him in yet more street fights. Still, he hoped it wouldn’t come down to that, so he could officially leave that part of his life behind him. And now that Levana could properly pay for what she had done, all would be well.  

He was listening to Scarlet and Thorne having a heated conversation about who was the better pilot. For some reason Scarlet stopped mid sentence.

“Have you ever had to escape with, like, a thousand guards chasing you?” Thorne asked her. “Yeah, I didn’t think so!”

“Well, you’ve never had a professional pilot train yo-” Scarlet stopped right there. It was as if she was having a seizure, she was moving around under someone else’s control. She said in a voice that wasn’t her own. “Get the others: Queen Winter; the guard, Jacin; PrincessSelene; and my beloved, Emperor Kaito.”

Thorne asked quickly, “Where did Winter and Jacin go?”

“Their heading to the defense room to discuss what to do if there are Lunar rebels,” Cress answered quickly. “I’ll get Cinder and Kai!”

While they rushed off, Wolf ran for Scarlet. He held her gently, but she shoved him off of her. “Don’t ever touch me again!”

He knew that it wasn’t really her that said those things, but it still hurt him to the point where he backed away. He would leave her alone until the Lunar that was controlling her was done.

Thorne and Cress came rushing in at the same time followed quickly by Cinder, Kai, Jacin, and Winter.

Scarlet spoke again. “A message from the true queen of Luna. You need to watch your backs, because she will never stop fighting. Never!”

And suddenly Scarlet fell to the ground. Wolf helped her back up and asked if she was okay. She nodded, and sat down. “What happened?”

Cress ran off to get some medicine, but CInder stopped her. “She won’t need medicine. Only time will make her feel better.”

Scarlet asked again, more insistently, “What happened?”  

“You were controlled by a Lunar,” Jacin answered, a cold look in his eye. “There’s a spy in this palace.”

Thorne spoke up, “Jonathan's right-”

“Jacin!” added an annoyed Jacin.

“Whatever! Either way, we need to find whoever the spy is and make sure they don’t go controlling any of our minds!”

While half of them were safe, Winter, Cinder, Wolf (who had gotten a security block in his back), and Cress, the other half appeared nervous. No one wanted to be controlled.

Wolf headed out, but was stopped by Kai’s voice, “Where are you going?”

“To the root of where this trouble is!” Wolf answered. “Levana here needs a stern talking to.”

 ________________________________________________________

Wolf was fast on an average day, but when he needed to be somewhere he was like light. So it wasn’t until he was right by Levana’s cell, that he heard the sound of footsteps following him. And he would recognize the sound of those sneakers anywhere.

“You did not think you were going without me, did you?” Scarlet asked him.

“What are you doing here?” Wolf asked angrily. “You should be resting!”

Scarlet laughed, “Because I’m so good at staying in place, following directions, and keeping out of the action!”

“We can’t have you risking things like this!” Wolf exclaimed. “What if Levana does something to you?”

Scarlet shrugged, “The bioelectricity block is on her. What could she really do?”

Wolf looked at her as if she was crazy, “Are you kidding me? We know she has outside influence! She even has a spy in the palace! Who knows what else she could be doing?”

“Are you really yelling at me?” Scarlet looked annoyed.

“Scarlet, I’m protecting you! You could have gotten seriously hurt today, and we’re lucky the spy gave you up! He or she could have controlled you longer and made you hurt one of us! Levana has a lot of power, even without her lunar gift. And I love you, Scarlet! Do you know how much I was hurting when you were kidnapped? I can’t risk having anything happening to you again!”

Scarlet looked taken aback. But she held her ground. “I’m coming with you. Besides, if there are so many Lunar spies roaming around, it would be dangerous for me to be walking around alone!

Wolf was about to protest but before he could, Scarlet opened the door and walked inside.