Chapter 8

(Credit to the artist of the above fan art )

He turned me down a long time ago.
I thought I would be okay with hearing him saying mean things to me.
Then why am I crying?

Under the veil of darkness, Yeonjun set forth on his path homeward. Every stride felt heavy, burdened by his somber thoughts and aching heart. His tears fell relentlessly throughout the journey, leaving his eyes red and his once-unblemished face swollen. He cast his gaze skyward, a feeble attempt to stem the tide of tears, yet Soobin's face lingered hauntingly in his mind.

I think I still love Soobin after all.

Yeonjun returned home, his steps slow and deliberate as he began the process of removing his shoes. The sound of the door's creaking brought Mrs. Choi rushing into the hallway, her eyes filled with concern.

"Yeonjunnie, you're late," she voiced her worry as she approached him.

A faint smile played on Yeonjun's lips as he replied, "I'm sorry. I completely forgot to call you." He offered a slight bow of respect. "Good night, Mrs. Choi," he said before making his way up the staircase to his room.

Once inside, he exchanged his clothes for something more comfortable and took a seat at his desk. Delicately, he opened the top drawer and retrieved an envelope, its contents hidden from view.

The first love letter that I wrote in my life... Gently, he unfolded the letter, his eyes scanning the words within.

The letter that is never going to be read...
I don't want it.
I know he's not being nice to me...
But I still love him.

His eyes, brimming with moisture, finally released tears once more, trailing down his cheeks.

"Hey, the bath is ready," Soobin called out after finishing his shower. He knocked on the door but was met with silence, leaving him puzzled.

I heard he came back not a while ago, where is he? Maybe.... Am I too harsh?

"I'm coming in," Soobin warned as he slowly pushed the unlocked door open. He had just finished his shower and was feeling a bit uneasy about the silence in the room.

"My mom said the bath is ready," he repeated nervously while drying his hair with a towel. Still, there was no response. Frowning, he glanced around the room to find Yeonjun slumped over the table, fast asleep.

Soobin put the towel over his shoulder and made his way over to him. He took a look at Yeonjun's tear-stained face, swollen eyes, and chapped lips, which had a hint of dried blood.

With a gentle, trembling hand, Soobin reached out towards Yeonjun's head but hesitated when he noticed a single sheet of paper clutched in Yeonjun's hand. His curiosity got the better of him, and he carefully plucked the paper from Yeonjun's grasp to read its contents.

'Dear Choi Soobin
My name is Kim Yeonjun. I'm in Class F.
You don't know me...
But I know you.
Since you made a speech at the entrance ceremony two years ago...
I have been admiring your intelligence and a handsome face.
When I first saw you, I felt like I was hit by a shooting star.
I started to have a special feeling for you.

I love you, Soobin'

-The next morning-

Morning arrived with a clear sky and the sweet hum of birds in the air. Yeonjun, who had drifted off to sleep at his desk the previous night, stirred and slowly opened his eyes, realizing his awkward sleeping position. Straightening up, he let out a soft yawn and stretched his tired limbs.