Chapter 21

"Mom!!!"

The sharp cry startled Mrs. Choi, causing her to drop the tube of eye cream she was holding. She clutched her chest, eyes shut, as she tried to steady her racing heart.

"Mom, I have something to tell you, and it's quite important." Mrs. Choi furrowed her eyebrows at the sound of her son's voice who rarely visited her room, especially not at 9 PM.

"Okay, Soobin," Mrs. Choi responded, turning toward him. "What is so important that you need to come into my room at this time?" she asked with a mix of curiosity and concern.

Observing Soobin, she could sense something was wrong . Out of breath, his eyes darting nervously, and his lips frequently moistened by his tongue, he was clearly distressed.

"Umm... Yeonjun told me that he and Uncle Jin are planning to leave our house in a few days. Did you know about this?" Soobin managed to say.

Mrs. Choi's eyes widened in shock. She quickly stood, grasping Soobin's shoulders and guiding him to sit in the chair she had just sat.

"What do you mean they are leaving? Jin hasn't mentioned anything to me about this. How did you find out, Soobin?" Mrs. Choi's voice was laden with urgency.

Sighing, Soobin quickly recounted his encounter. "I was heading home when I bumped into Yeonjun. We walked together for a bit, and out of nowhere, he mentioned that they are moving out soon because it's been almost a year since they moved in with us. I wanted to see if you knew, so I rushed here to ask you."

Soobin gently took his mother's hands, looking earnestly into her eyes. "Mom... Is there any way you can—"

KnockKnock.

The sudden sound at the door made Mrs. Choi call out, "Come in."

As the door swung open, Jin appeared alone. "Sooyoung, where's Hyunbin? I need to tell you guys something important," he announced.

Mrs. Choi glanced at her son before walking toward the door. "Jin, please wait in the living room. I'll get Hyunbin from his workroom and come downstairs."

"I don't want it!"

"I don't want Yeonjunnie to move out," Mrs. Choi exclaimed loudly, the distress clear in her voice.

"My dear, please calm down," Mr. Choi comforted, wrapping an arm around his wife as she began to sob softly.

"But, honey..." Mrs. Choi looked up at her husband, only to find his expression mirroring her own worry and upset.

"Thank you so much, Sooyoung. But I've already made up my mind," Jin declared from across the room.

Mr. Choi sighed, witnessing his wife's tears. He turned to Jin, his voice earnest. "Jin, you don't have to worry about us. We want you to stay. You contribute to the living expenses every month, too."

Jin shook his head slowly, his gaze lowered. "We've overstayed our welcome by taking advantage of your kindness. It's time for Yeonjunnie to let go of Soobin."

"Please don't. I will—"

"But Honey, this is something between them," Mr. Choi interjected, cutting off his wife before she could finish.

"It's not that I accept just anyone who comes into this house. I've grown to love Yeonjunnie's cheerfulness, his bravery, and his sweetness. He's become like a son to me," Mrs. Choi confessed, her eyes downcast.

The air has thicken in the living room. A year might seem brief, but it was filled with joyful memories that had created deep bonds among them. They each knew in their hearts that eventually, everyone must follow their own path, despite the pain of parting.