~Chapter 4~

The brothers continued their journey, they kept walking down the path, it was a bit of a walk to the next location but they didn't mind because they needed to focus on saving their niece, suddenly Bruce spotted the applesauce waves in the distance.

"I see the beach!" Bruce exclaimed.

They went to the beach and it was indeed a beach where the ocean was made of apple sauce, Clay tripped over his feet and his face went first into a more light brown colored sand, getting some in his mouth.

"Huh? The sand tastes like cinnamon sugar" Clay licked the cinnamon sugar from his mouth.

"Did you seriously lick the sand?" Bruce asked.

"What? It tastes nice, it's not like it's actual sand" Clay replied.

"Guys we need to find the next item" John Dory said.

They looked around the beach for the item, whatever it was that they needed to look for but they couldn't see anything that indicated it was out in the open.

"They must have really hidden it well" Floyd sighed.

"What are we going to do? What if it's buried in the cinnamon sugar sand? It'll be forever until we find it" Clay was getting worried.

Bruce was staring at the applesauce waves thinking about what they could do until he saw something in the waves, he couldn't see what it was because the applesauce wasn't see-through like water but he could make out the shape of it, it was small and his theory was correct because as the wave crashed down he saw a tiny pacifier with the familiar glittery golden star in the applesauce but it was quickly grabbed by a fish that looked like it was made of maple syrup.

"Did I just see a maple syrup fish grab the item?" Bruce looked confused.

"What? How are we supposed to get to it now?" Clay questioned.

Then Spruce noticed a surfboard with a note on it, he took off the note and opened it.

"In this second challenge this is what you must face, the applesauce currents aren't easy to race, you must show your best skills using this surfboard, to the creatures below the surface who get easily bored" Bruce read.

"So you just gotta impress a fish? That'll be easy for you" John Dory patted Spruce's back.

"What? Why do I have to do it?" Bruce asked.

"Because dude you're the only one of us who can surf without falling off" Clay replied.

"You were nicknamed the king of the waves for a reason, it has to be you" John Dory said.

"But these waves are different, it's applesauce not water" Bruce pointed out.

"Since when has a difficult surfing challenge ever stopped you? We know you can do this!" Floyd smiled.

"...Ok" Bruce took a deep breath as he grabbed the surfboard and started to make it out across the applesauce ocean.

Bruce looked at the waves unsure if he would be able to successfully impress the fish, usually surfing was easy and he felt confident but with all the pressure of getting the item in time so he could save his niece made him nervous.

"I've never seen him so nervous about surfing before" Floyd said

"I got an idea, Clay do you remember the music number we did for that surfing competition Spruce competed in?" John Dory asked.

"How could I forget? Floyd made the lyrics so catchy" Clay replied.

"I see what you're doing, let's hype him up!" Floyd smiled.

Bruce sighed ready to start until he heard a familiar clapping beat.

"He's ready, he's steady, he's up on his feet" John Dory sang.

"Dancing on the water to his own kinda beat" Clay joined in.

"He's in it, he's on it, he's rockin' his skills,
tearin' up the current like the guy's got gills" Floyd joined as well.

Bruce smiled hearing his brother's engorgement and started to swim towards a wave.

"Pop up, lean in side to side
Lay back, hang ten, go for a ride" The brothers started to do the dance they did as kids.

"Catch that curl, get into the tube
Do the mahi mahi, make your tail fin move" The brothers continued dancing as Bruce caught onto a wave.

"He's the king of the waves,
Check it out, he's spinnin' that board around"

Bruce started to gain his confidence back and was surfing like the pro he knew he was.

"He's the king of the waves,
No one's gonna take away his crown"

The fish that had the pacifier in its mouth, looked at Bruce as it swam out and into the water to watch him.

"Surf's up, bow down, he's the king of the waves" 

Bruce did a flip and that seemed to get the fish's attention and it let go of the pacifier it was holding. With a swift movement of his hand, Bruce grabbed the pacifier before it dropped into the applesauce.

"I did it!" Bruce exclaimed.

"Yes! Way to go Bruce!" His brothers cheered.

He came back to the shore, they all were happy that they were able to complete the second challenge, they only now needed two more items to find.

Meanwhile, Dreamcloud was watching them and once again got frustrated over their success, she tapped her foot seeing them celebrating made her really upset.

"Ugh! I thought that they wouldn't be able to easily get that! It's applesauce! How do you surf in that stuff?" Dreamcloud fell dramatically on the floor.

"We didn't count on that one of the brothers actually knew how to surf, who knew he would impress the maple syrup fish" Nightlight said while feeding Crystal some milk.

"The next challenge will definitely throw them off, I'll make sure of it" Dreamcloud said with a smug look.

"How can you be so sure they won't overcome it? " Nightlight asked.

"Because this next challenge isn't easy, they'll be in for a real fright you could say" Dreamcloud said proudly.

" Well I believe in you, we need to make sure Crystal remains safe" Nightlight replied.

"Indeed, we must keep her safe at all costs" Dreamcloud smiled, gently stroking Crystal's hair.

John Dory and his brothers left Applesauce Beach and made their way to the next location.

"So what's the name of the next place?" Floyd asked.

"According to the map we need to get to Nightmare Forest" John Dory said

"Nightmare Forest?" Floyd questioned, feeling uneasy about the name.

"Relax little bro we're in this together" Clay gave him a reassuring side hug.

"Exactly, we'll grab the next item and we'll be out of there as quick as we can, then we can get Crystal back and get home" Bruce said.

"Ok, let's go" Floyd said, feeling reassured by his older brother's comfort.

The brozone brothers headed into the forest unaware of what the next challenge would be.