~Chapter 8~

About an hour passed and they were still not very high up, the path to the top was a long one and the brothers couldn't waste any time to save their niece, John Dory kept a fast pace as his younger brothers were trying to keep up with him.

"How many hours do we have left?" Floyd asked.

"About 3 I think" Clay replied.

"We'll make it in time, we just gotta keep walking" John Dory said determinedly.

As they kept walking John Dory spotted two paths with a sign in the middle, one arrow pointing to the left that said "Top of Daydream Peak" and the arrow pointing to the right that said "Marshtato Canyon" They stopped to look at the sign.

"Good, at least there's a sign that's telling us which way to go" John Dory smiled.

"Something feels off about it though, are you sure we're going the right way?" Clay asked.

"Trust me we'll be fine let's just follow the sign and get to Crystal, we don't have time to question anything" John Dory explained.

"But the sign is looking really sus right now" Clay pointed to the text underneath saying "This is the right way I promise :)"

"It'll be fine" John reassured.

"Why do I even try?" Clay sighed.

The brothers started to make their way to the left to keep heading up the mountain, what they didn't see was dust blowing off the sign showing the left arrow was now pointing to the Marshtato Canyon.

Meanwhile, Dreamcloud was watching still with Crystal in her arms, she smirked as she saw them going to the left, Nightlight knew she planned something and went over to her.

"Dreamifer? What did you do?" Nightlight asked.

"I may have switched the signs and now they're going the wrong way" Dreamcloud chuckled.

"But isn't that cheating?" Nightlight pointed out.

"It's not cheating, it's just an extra precaution to keep Crystal safe" Dreamcloud reassured.

"I don't know if we should keep doing this, I mean I know we have wanted a kid for years but it's starting to feel like we're doing too much". Nightlight explained.

"Please Nightlight, we're so close to finally having a daughter and I don't want to lose her..." Dreamcloud looked down sadly.

Nightlight felt bad, he knew that they wanted a kid to look after and this was their only opportunity, he just wants to make her happy because he loves and cares about her so much, Crystal reached out her hand and wrapped it around Nightlight's fingers, he smiled.

"I don't want to lose her either, just don't go too far, you've already used a lot of your magic today, you know what happens when you use too much" Nightlight said.

"I'll be fine honey, don't worry" Dreamcloud gently rocked Crystal in her arms smiling.

John Dory and his brothers continued to walk up and the path was starting to feel odd as they weren't walking upwards anymore and they were starting to get tired but they had to keep going, they couldn't stop now, not when saving their niece from the rulers of this dream world reality.

"It feels like we're not even close to the top" Clay said.

"I think Clay made a point, are you sure we're going the right way?" Bruce asked.

"Are you doubting my navigation skills?" John Dory stopped walking.

"Maybe because we're not going up anymore?" Clay raised an eyebrow.

"Well I'm sure we'll keep moving uphill soon" John Dory said.

"We're wasting time talking let's just head the other way" Bruce replied.

"No we'll be wasting more time going back, I know this is the right way!" John Dory exclaimed.

"You know? Or are you just denying the fact that we're going to get lost because of your poor decision" Bruce glared.

"Hey we're not going to get lost! Besides we need to get to Crystal, we can't lose her!" John Dory yelled.

"Guys stop, we can't argue right now" Floyd said.

"We know that! Just listen to us!" Clay yelled back ignoring Floyd.

Suddenly there was a slight rumble underneath their feet, it started to get stronger and stronger, the brothers stayed close to each other unsure of what was happening.

"What's going on?!" Clay looked around.

That's when they looked up and saw the giant marshtatos and John Dory realized they had gone the wrong way, the marshtatos were 3 times their size and looking like they were going to fall any moment.

"Oh frosting..." John Dory and was in shock as the marshtatos were about to fall.

"Run!" Bruce shouted.

The giant marshtatos started to fall and the brothers yelled in fear as they bounced onto the ground one by one, they all ran in different direction trying to avoid the massive sweets.

"Why did it have to be giant marshtatos!" Clay barely dodged one that landed near his feet.

"We need to head back to the right path!" John Dory called out but suddenly one of the marshtatos bounced and landed on him, trapping him in the sticky marshtato.

"John!" Floyd called out as the marshtato bounced everywhere.

One by one the marshtato trapped the brothers together and it bounced near an edge of a cliff, they all shut their eyes but the marshtato stopped, it stayed still, the brothers sighed in relief as it didn't roll any further.

"Thank goodness that's over right?" John Dory said.

Suddenly Clay's nose felt itchy, the brothers started to worry.

"No no no Clay hold it in!" Bruce exclaimed.

Clay tried to ignore the sensation but it was too late, he let out a sneeze which gave the marshtato the final push it finally needed and they fell off the edge, the brothers screamed as they fell down but they were still stuck in the marshtato so when they landed on the ground they bounced until the marshtato stopped bouncing, leaving them a bit dizzy.

"Is everyone ok?" Floyd asked.

"I think I'm gonna be sick" Bruce felt nauseous.

With the strength they had they all got out of the marshtato but now they had a new problem, they were back at the bottom of the mountain, all the hours spent climbing to the top were now wasted as they only had a few more hours left before the end of the timer.

"How are we going to get there in time now?" Clay asked.

John was quiet, he felt like he let his brothers down, he should've listened and now he wasn't sure how they could save their niece in time.

"...I don't know" John Dory sat down against a tree, trying to think.