Day 2 | Eyes

Takes place: Steve Saga
Type: Fluff
Note: Enjoy :3

— — — — —
It was a nice calm day in Rainbow Town. Sun was shining warmly, heating the gently moving grass blades in the wind. The sky was bright blue with scarce small clouds drifting through the sky-scape. Rainbow and Sabre had just finished rebuilding the town's walls along with Lucas and a Green Steve who they had saved from Nightmare King.

Proud of their work, Rainbow cheerfully announced the time for a break. All of them agreed with no hesitation, and laughed. Green Steve, who decided to go by the name Matt, wanted to bake cookies for them all to enjoy. Lucas volunteered to help.

"What about you, Sabre? What are you gonna do?" Lucas, his friend, asked with a tired eyes and a friendly tone.

"I think I'll head to the river and just relax a bit. I can come help out later if needed."

"Sounds good enough. Well, enjoy!" Lucas wished him a goodbye and Sabre nodded, glad he understood.

With that, he set his steps towards the swampy river behind the Rainbow Tree, well shaded from the afternoon heat. He sat down right by the line where water ran and looked outwards to the walls, keeping the rest of the river out - so the "river" was more of a pond, really. He didn't mind.

He let out a calm exhale, admiring the peace and quiet, observing the fish families swimming about their day. Soon enough, there was a quiet whoosh and silent thump beside him. Without even needing to glance, Sabre knew it was Rainbow. The breeze of wind picked slightly and it was most comfortable.

"Enjoying the breeze?" Rainbow asked, quieter than normal, but not near a whisper. Sabre nodded with a content smile, and he knew Rainbow sensed it. They had been buddies for a long time and learned to know each others antics, body language and emotions. It was handy when one of them was feeling down - the other would notice and help. It was the same with Lucas for Sabre but it was a bit different since they haven't met for so long, until this world.

"Me too," rainbow head spoke, smiling and watching at the distance like his sitting buddy. They spent good few minutes in the singing silence.

"Ah well," Sabre then said softly and reached for the loose ends of his blindfold to untie it. Rainbow had closed his eyes to feel and enjoy the breeze better and didn't open them until he heard a small splash of water and he peeked over his left side where the man in chicken suit was.

Rainbow gasped as Sabre took his blindfold out of the now disrupted water and squeezed it out of most water.

"Sabre-" words got stuck in the taller one's mouth (Sabre was a tiny bit shorter than Rainbow which was comical with Rainbow's personality of easily getting scared and Sabre being the brave one). Sabre only chuckled lightly and smiled smugly.

"What?" He aired a question as he put his dark blindfold to his vacant side and splashed some cold water to his face and rubbed it with his hands. "Never seen a human face before?" Sabre joked, eyes closing and teethed smiled wider for a moment.

After splashing water to his face again a few times, making his sleeves and some parts of his trousers wet in the process, and not getting a response, the brunette turned his upper body right, to face his companion. Rainbow was staring at him, his white silver wide eyes boring into Sabre's colour changing ones depending on the light. Under orange-brown shadows of the Rainbow Tree, his eyes shone amber orange, warm and bright.

"I- I-" Rainbow was astonished. And then smiled, breaking from his trance. "They're mesmerising! Do they change colour?!" He changed into his excited child version of himself. Sabre was glad Rainbow wasn't so taken aback by him suddenly not wearing his blindfold and that he had taken it with excitement and joy. It made his worried strings around him melt and fade away.

"Apparently they do! And I don't even know how, really. It freaked most people out, so I just made a blindfold for myself for the sake both others and me." Sabre explained and looked at the water reflecting some sunlight, making some parts of his eyes more yellow.

"I think you shouldn't hide them! They're too pretty to be hidden - like diamonds in the night!"

Sabre burst into laughter. He laughed so much that fell down and had to grab his stomach and mouth to calm himself. Rainbow was certainly surprised by this turn of events and looked at the man down with just as surprised look.

"This is- This is probably- the best reaction- I've ever gotten out of someone-" He tried to say between extreme laughter and catching his breath.

Rainbow smiled, proud of himself, his eyes glittering like snow in cloudless morning or afternoon.

He hopes that it will all stay that way. Safe, happy and warm <3