Chapter 3-Echoes of the Past

Finally, the weekend arrived, and I still hadn't spoken to Alex. I was afraid he might tell someone from school about what had happened. I didn't want to go through all of that again: the pitying looks, people whispering behind my back. I decided I would focus on my job at the flower shop while my dad was away on business for the next two weeks.

I said goodbye to my dad, and he asked if I would be okay on my own. I smiled and reassured him that I would, urging him to concentrate on his work. As he left, a mix of emotions washed over me. On one hand, I was eager to have some time to myself to focus on my work and interests. On the other hand, the loneliness of the empty house began to weigh on me.

Later, I headed towards the flower shop. On the way, I looked up at the sky and noticed that it was overcast. The cloudy sky gave the city a somewhat somber appearance that day. Gray clouds stretched across the horizon, blocking the sun and casting shadows over the streets. It was as if the weather itself reflected my current state of mind, a mixture of uncertainty and determination.

As I walked along the familiar streets of my town, I pondered the changes happening in my life. The feeling of loneliness still lingered, but there was also a glimmer of hope and the promise of a fresh start. When I arrived at the flower shop, I took a deep breath and entered, ready to immerse myself in my work and the flowers that had always brought me comfort.

Inside, behind the counter, arranging a bouquet of petunias, was my boss, a man in his early thirties with gentle features, light curly hair, and green eyes. He had a clothing style that harked back to earlier times, often wearing long-sleeved shirts with floral patterns and suspenders. His name was Michael, and he was known in town for his skill in creating stunning floral arrangements.

He always had a welcoming smile for customers and for me, his employee. On that day, he was focused on his work, carefully selecting each flower for the arrangement he was assembling. His passion for what he did was evident in every meticulous gesture as he handled the flowers. It was a pleasure to work alongside someone so talented and dedicated.

I greeted my boss, and he smiled warmly at me. Michael asked me to create an arrangement for Mrs. Anna, a regular customer who came in for arrangements every week. He wanted me to craft something that would surprise her.

Carefully, I selected a variety of flowers, combining white lilies and red roses to give the arrangement a vibrant and elegant contrast. To create a sense of fullness and beauty, I added larger flowers in the center and gradually decreased the size of the flowers toward the edges of the arrangement. For a perfect finish, I tied a delicate ribbon around the arrangement, choosing a red satin ribbon to complement the colors of the flowers. The final result was stunning, and I knew Mrs. Anna would be delighted with the gesture.

I presented the arrangement to my boss, and he approved with a nod of his head, pleased with the outcome. Now, all that was left was to wait for Mrs. Anna to arrive so I could personally deliver the arrangement I had crafted with such care.

The door swung open, and the bell hanging above it chimed with a familiar tinkling sound. At first, I thought it was Mrs. Anna, the regular customer we were expecting. So, I made my way toward the door with a welcoming smile, ready to greet her.

However, my expression quickly turned to one of surprise when I realized it wasn't Mrs. Anna who had entered but Alex. He stood there, in the entrance of the flower shop, clearly with the intention of speaking to me.

I told my boss that I needed to take a break and stepped outside to meet with Alex. We found a bench in front of the flower shop and sat down. I was curious and asked him how he had found out that I was working there.

Alex explained that he had asked Emily because he wanted to talk to me. He had been worried about me ever since I disappeared two years ago without a word.