Chapter 17-Captive in the Shadows

After fainting, I was awakened by a throbbing pain in my head. As I regained consciousness, I found myself in a dark and cramped space. I didn't know where I was, but the constant sound of the engine indicated that I was in some moving vehicle, confined in the trunk of a car. However, my situation was even more terrible than I had imagined.

When I tried to move, I realized that my hands were tied, and there was duct tape over my mouth. A sense of panic overcame my mind as I tried in vain to cry for help. The constant sound of the car's engine only heightened my distress.

The darkness around me was oppressive, and a feeling of claustrophobia began to take hold of me. With effort, I began to remember the previous events, the confrontation with the detective, and placing my phone in Liam's coffin.

As the headache gradually subsided, I wondered if my father had managed to save Liam. My mind was filled with worries and uncertainties. I felt powerless and vulnerable, trapped in the darkness of the car trunk, not knowing what was happening outside.

In the car trunk, some time passed until the vehicle finally stopped. I heard footsteps approaching in my direction, and my heart raced. The detective opened the trunk, and I looked around, realizing that we had stopped at a gas station. The light was dim, and everything was shrouded in darkness.

John approached and tried to stroke my head, but in panic, I tried to pull away. He tried to reassure me, saying not to be afraid, that we were almost reaching our destination. I desperately wanted to ask questions, but the duct tape on my mouth prevented me from articulating words. Only muffled sounds escaped.

He smiled, understanding my frustration, and mentioned that he could remove the duct tape, but I would scream. I shook my head in denial, fearing what might happen if I made noise, so he said, "Don't worry, I'll get you something to eat at the gas station." Then he closed the trunk again.

Some time later, the car moved forward and stopped after a few minutes. The sound of the door opening made me shudder, and there was John. We were on the side of the road. He picked me up, sat me down, and, with care, removed the duct tape from my mouth. It hurt terribly, and my mouth stung, but I could finally speak.

He asked if I was thirsty, but I ignored the question and, with a determined look, I told him that he wouldn't get far. The police were already looking for him, for sure. He sighed and replied that he had told his boss he was going on vacation. Furthermore, they would be too busy looking for a runaway teenager and a missing officer to care about anything else.

I remembered that he didn't know that more people knew he was the killer, so I changed the subject and asked where we were going. He said it was a secret, then asked if I wanted water. I turned my head to the side in defiance. He sighed, grabbed my face, and forced me to drink. After forcing the water, he said, "See, it wasn't that difficult."

My mind worked quickly, and I was determined to find a way to escape. With my eyes fixed on John, I decided to act. I caught his attention with a look of false submission, allowing him to come closer to me. The sensation of his presence nearby was suffocating, but I knew it was my only chance.

Then, with a swift movement, I gathered all the courage I had and, in surprise, headbutted him with all the force I could muster. The impact caught him off guard, and he staggered back, holding his nose, dazed.

I didn't waste any time. I ran in the opposite direction, desperate to escape. However, he was quick, and before I could get very far, he grabbed me by the hair, pulling me forcefully. The pain was excruciating, but I fought with all my might.

With a quick movement, he pushed me back into the car trunk. Everything happened so quickly. The trunk slammed shut, leaving me once again in the oppressive darkness.