Part 7 - Komm, gib mir deine Hand

The first few weeks were lonely and cold despite the blazing heat of August. Feeling particularly forlorn late one night,  I remembered the note Paul had thrust into my hand. I was eager for any sort of contact from the lads, be it a silly note or otherwise. Ripping it open, I was disappointed in seeing it was just an address, specifically the current address of my friends. Later that night, Mimi rapped against my bedroom door. She opened it quietly, holding a letter in her hand.
      "I'm sorry, dearest, it arrived days ago, and it slipped my mind. That Paul's a handsome one, isn't he?," she said with a grin.
      "Ta Mimi, but he's just a mate."    Honestly..
I opened it quickly,  hoping it said more than Paul's note..

                Jean Wilhelmina (ha) :   I hastily scribbled this note to express my (our) fondest greetings.  We miss you loads, and to be quite honest, it's not as satisfying to fetch our own bevvies. Not only that,  it's more amusing with you around when we break wind, I know you miss it so, HAHAHAHA. In honor of you, Sunshine,  I shall fart on your brother's face when he's sleeping. I'll be sure to let him know it's from you. **Wink wink, it's really from my arse.
             Best,   
                     Paul

          Dearest Wils, I don't know why Macca's insisted we all write something. It seems daft to me.  Of course I miss you, you twit, please don't think I don't.  Tell Mimi all is well and that I miss her too. See you soon, be sure to get enough sleep, and for Christ's sake, try not to shag all of Liddypool. Just joking, I know you wouldn't have the time. HA.
        Love you always,
your staggeringly handsome brother,
         aka, Winston.

        Hello Kitten, it's Georgie.  We're playing for hours on end and are beyond knackered, but getting an amazing response from the Germans. I'm having a grand time,  although I'm missing you like mad. I'm still hoping your tyrannical boss will leave you off to come see us. I understand if you can't (your boss is a sod, by the way), but I'm holding out hope you can spare even a few days. If not,  I'll see you soon. I  hope you don't miss me too much.
          I love you endlessly (truly, I meant what I said, both before and now).
       Eternally,
               George. XOXO

        Hullo, Paul again.  I have a plan. George chats about you INCESSANTLY, and it's driving us barmy. I'll ring that loathsome boss of yours and get everything set. Pack some clothes and necessities,  and meet me at the train station on the 19th.
   P.S. Pete says hi.

So.. Paul has a plan, eh?   I grabbed a large knapsack from my cupboard, threw some clothes inside, and stuffed it under my bed. Tomorrow, I'd add some snacks and blankets, as well as other bits and bobs, and try to come up with a story to tell Mimi. I was headed for Hamburg.

          After three grueling weeks, I was finally on my way to Hamburg - and my love. Of course, I missed the others too; my dear Winn, his smart arse, and sweet Paulie, going above and beyond to surprise Geo with my arrival.  Paul and I had planned my visit in secret, and keeping it from Winnie and George must have been damn near impossible.  While he said George was enjoying himself and honing his craft at the same time,  he was almost always whinging about being homesick.  He missed his bed, his mum's cooking, his favourite biscuits, and me (not necessarily in that order).
           The trip was long and fraught with uncertainty. Paulie was vague with his description of their accommodations, and I had no idea as to where I'd stay once I got there. Were they even comfortable? I was also concerned about how they'd react to my coming in the first place. These thoughts alone weighed heavy on my mind, keeping me vexed for quite a while. I couldn't be bothered to watch the scenery after the first couple hours, as I was whacked and my poor vision had the buildings dissolving into one another. After forcing my eyes to stay open for far too long, I was lulled into a dreamless sleep by the clickety-clack of the wheels.
            It must have been hours later that I was roused by a gentle rubbing of my shoulder. My eyes fluttered open and were suddenly met with Paul's soft gaze.
          "Morning Sleeping Beauty, ready to see your Prince?" He offered me a bright, beaming smile and followed with a kiss to my temple.
           "Yes, please, Paulie. I've missed him terribly and am in dire need of a good shag. "
           "Noted. After we get to ours, I'll grab John, and we'll bugger off somewhere. Haz has been hot to trot since we arrived."
           "You mean he hasn't, uhhh, engaged in any 'activity' without me?"
            "Oh, sweet Jeannie, only with himself. He's too far gone on you to throw it all away with some slag."
            "Well, now I feel obligated to give him a gob job as well," I said, smiling.
            "Christ, it's not his bloody birthday, Jean."
            "Awwww, jealous Paulie? How's about after Geo and I, uhhh, 'reconnect', we find you a nice little knob gobbler for the afternoon? That'll cheer ya up right quick. Sound alright?"
            "Thanks, MUM,"  he said with a roll of his eyes.
          Throwing an arm around my shoulders, the other grabbing my overstuffed knapsack,  he helped me off the train and down the street.
          "What the bloody hell's in here, Jeannie, lead?!"
          "I brought some comforts of home for you lot. Blankets, soap, bit of nosh. Louise sent some bakes as well. But don't touch the darker bag on the bottom.  Those are George's favourite biscuits."
          "You needn't do that for us, love,  we're surviving."
          "Bollocks Paul, I aim to please. Besides, someone has to look after you tossers."
     We continued on our way, making idle chit-chat, until we stopped outside a right eyesore of a building.  Of course, the whole area had a basic 'pimple on the arse' look about it. He urged me inside and through the back to the rooms where they were staying.  The first room we entered was a horror to behold.  It was dank and pongy and lacking any furnishings aside from two beds and a sofa, which were currently occupied by deeply sleeping lumps. The first, on the one bed, was no doubt my Winn. I'd recognize that awful din anywhere. Sounded like a pig, he did, with his heavy snoring.  
       Paul cast his eyes in the direction of the sofa, giving me a quick wink. That lump must be my Georgie. Not wanting to wake either one, Paul led me to another room, just as dreadful as the first. Still, I was grateful to be reunited with the lads and have a place to rest as well. He showed me to an unoccupied bed, placing my knapsack upon it.
        "This is Pete's, but he's out with his bird, so you're welcome to use it for the time bein'. When George gets up, I'll send him in; tell him he's got a special parcel."
        "Ta Paulie,  for everything. Here, take the blankets and soap for yourselves and some nosh, too, aside from the biscuits. I'll get changed and have a kip, if you don't mind." He nodded, grabbing a few things from my bag. I quickly shed my rumpled clothes and threw on my large tee. I collapsed onto the bed, nodding off in minutes..